RWC now offers tutoring in a variety of subjects

The Reading and Writing Center at New Trier’s Winnetka Campus now offers tutoring in a wide range of subjects.  Not only can students drop in for help on writing and reading, tutors are available to help with science, social studies, and language assignments.

Schedules every day vary, but tutors for Spanish can be of use during all three lunch periods on a daily basis, and there is a French tutor for each period every Monday.

There are currently 188 tutors signed to help in the RWC throughout the week, which is a national record for a high school literacy center.  “We’re probably one of the biggest in the United States,” stated Furman.  However, the tutors are not utilized enough.

Claudia Furman, the Reading and Literacy Coordinator, seeks to raise participation in the RWC during parents’ nights, like last month’s parent-teacher conferences.  “We’ve never presented to parents this way…This is our first time, so we’re really excited about it.”  The RWC’s student leadership team consists of about 15 experienced tutors, who meet with Furman on a monthly basis.  They are in charge of tackling problems they encounter while tutoring.  In regards to the lack of student participation, they proposed this campaign to endorse the center.

This idea to open tutoring to nearly every subject originated from the students themselves. The RWC has a program for sophomores who benefit from having help in English during a free period.  Furman explained the program, Reading and Writing Strategies, evolved into something bigger when tutors began to assist these tutees in subjects other than English, such as geoscience and Spanish.  Eventually, tutors were able to designate additional subjects they could help with, and Furman consolidated this information into a schedule, listing all the subjects offered during each period for the whole week.

The teachers in the English department are the main advocates for the RWC. Other departments haven’t known about the tutoring service, even though it is available.  English faculty member Eric Berliant admitted, “The English department is reaping the benefits of this center, when other teachers can find there’s a lot to be gained by having other students to help out.”

Even though few students know what goes on in the center, once they come, they find that they enjoy the peaceful and friendly atmosphere.

Some English teachers require their students to visit the RWC, or they give them credit to work with a tutor, like Berliant, who noted, “They were pleasantly surprised with how helpful these tutors were.”

Furman brought up that it could be intimidating to share a piece of writing with another student, but student tutors have had the same essay assignments, which can make them more helpful than the teacher.

Furman joked, “Some people don’t even know we’re here.”  A student tutor junior, Sophie Rodriguez said, “[Students] don’t realize you can just come in for help… Maybe if teachers suggested [the RWC] to students in class, more people would come.”

Tommy Wellington felt that the center has been able to help him in biology: “I’ve come in to get tutored many times when I’m struggling with a concept.”

The RWC is open every period and proves to be useful to students looking for assistance in almost every subject.