New “no hand gun” signs welcome students back to school

Returning to school last Wednesday after winter break, students were surprised by the new addition to all of New Trier’s entrance doors. On the windows of each door, square “no hand gun” stickers clearly depict an image of a black handgun inside a red circle with a slash through it.

Many students were under the impression it was a sort of joke, especially since the signs were simply laminated pieces of 4×6 paper.  Anna Foster, a junior, commented, “I don’t think it will deter people from coming into the building with a gun; I think it’s a great law but I don’t think it will have any effect on someone who is determined to bring a gun into the school.” Granted, the signs are not simply an effort to warn against gun violence.  There is an actual law behind their existence.

Matthew Ottaviano, New Trier’s Assistant Principal for Administrative Services, sent out an email to all staff last Thursday regarding the “no hand gun” signs, and the reasons behind their placement on school doors. “These signs are a requirement of Illinois’ new conceal carry legislation that went into effect January 1, 2014.  Permanent placards will replace the temporary laminated signs,” he wrote.

The new state law was passed in July, and it allows anyone in Illinois with a Firearm Owners Identification Card to obtain a concealed-carry permit for $150. The card is already required to buy firearms and ammunition.  This means that, theoretically, anyone with this permit could walk into a building with a concealed gun.

However, a public institution, such as a school, is mandated to prohibit people from bringing in firearms.  Ottaviano’s email went on to explain, “‘Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified…signs shall be of a uniform design…’”

For example, should a New Trier student’s parent —  one who owns a gun license and chooses to carry a concealed weapon — enter the school, they would have to leave their firearm in the car or they would otherwise be punished by the law.  Among the list of other places where concealed carriers will have to leave their guns at home are: sports stadiums, libraries, courts, public parks, zoos, and amusement parks.

Inaara Tharwani, a sophomore, said, “It makes me feel a bit safer actually, knowing that it’s there to tell people not to bring [guns] into the school.” Some students haven’t had the same reaction as Inaara, or even any reactions at all. Sophomore Zack Cohen commented, “I didn’t really think anything of the signs. I just figured the school decided to put them up.”