2013 NT graduate victim of drunk driver

On January 31st, a 2013 New Trier Graduate, Sarah McCausland, and another student, Evelina Martin Brown of Seattle were killed in a hit and run accident by a suspected drunk driver in Trivoli, New York according to local police.

The driver, 63 year old Carol Boeck fled the scene, but was later arrested by the Dutchess County New York sheriff’s office.  It was recorded that Boeck had previously been arrested for drunk driving, and was held at $100,000 bail.  Boeck has been charged with driving while intoxicated and first-degree  vehicular    manslaughter.

McCausland was out with her friends on a normal Friday night when she and fellow student Brown were killed. McCausland was an anthropology and linguistics student at Bard College; she graduated from New Trier in 2013.

McCausland was renowned for her love of music and performance and was driven by her quest for knowledge.  She played the guitar, banjo, ukulele, and was teaching herself the piano.  “She was passionate about music and the arts,” Andy McCausland said, in a Winnetka Talks interview.

During her time at New Trier McCausland was a member of the girls chorus, the Coraliers, which was in New Trier’s choir-opera program.  She performed at local stores in Winnetka, and during her time in New York, she sang duets with her friend at benefit concerts.

“She had this passion for life and took advantage of every opportunity,” said Lori Kusatzky a fellow Coralier member.  “We’re just going to miss her so dearly,” said her parents.

The New Trier News will continue its coverage of this tragedy in its February 14th issue.