Top stories from the past 4 years: Pot-laced brownies in 2011

In 2011, a New Trier student was arrested at New Trier’s Winnetka campus on the suspicion of selling brownies laced with marijuana. According to Winnetka Police SergeantMarc Hornstein in a 2011 Triblocal article, the student was charged with a class three felony: delivery of cannabis on school grounds, and two class A misdemeanors: possession of cannabis and possession of drug paraphernalia. New Trier used the arrest as an opportunity to remind students and parents about the consequences of selling and using illegal drugs.

After the incident, New Trier’s Superintendent, Linda Yonke, sent out an email to all parents that said, “We want to make sure that our students and parents understand the dangers of this type of drug use.” According to Katherine Schindler, New Trier’s Assistant Principal for Student Services, being in possession of or under the influence of drugs or alcohol while at school or any school-sponsored event results in at least a seven day suspension and a completion of a drug education program. “If a student is selling or distribution [drugs or alcohol] then that’s impacting the safety of the rest of the student body, and there is no place for that here,” said Schindler.

The event impacted more than the students who distributed or ingested cannabis-laced brownies. It reinforced the consequences of drug use within school grounds to all students. The alleged student’s name was never released. New Trier would also not elaborate on the severity of his or her punishment, according to CBS Chicago.