Top stories from the past 4 years: Rumsfeld sparks controversy

Former Secretary of Defense under George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld (class of 1950), was accepted into the 2011 New Trier Alumni Hall of Fame, but this decision was met with disdain by many students and staff.

Rumsfeld’s involvement in the 2003 invasion of Iraq during the United States “War on Terror” was the main source of contention. Crisis argued that Rumsfeld’s decisions were irrational and made without proper reasoning.

A selection committee comprised of students, staff, administrators and former alumni analyzed the various submissions from the alumni. The committee received 80 nominations, all of whom deserved recognition in some manner, but acceptance was made with the application of New Trier’s motto in mind. “There had to be evidence shown in the nomination form of achievement within one, preferably two areas… inquiry, compassion and service,” said Timothy Dohrer, former New Trier principal.

Those in opposition argued that Rumsfeld did not in fact meet this criteria due to his role in government during Bush’s presidency.

The argument was made that “we [were] giving an award to a politician who blatantly violated the Geneva Convention, waged unjust war, and has helped to tarnish the reputation of the United States,” claimed then Senior class president, Jeremy Levine-Drizin.

A student petition with over 200 signatures surfaced asking the committee to rescind the award was presented to the Board of Education, but it had no lasting impact. “This isn’t an issue of liberal or conservative but rather of right or wrong,” said Levine-Drizin.

Despite many people campaigning against the decision of the selection committee, New Trier High School has no plans to discontinue honoring alumni, even when they became controversial.