Ensemble class enrollment drops

Due to low enrollment numbers, the Speech and Theater Department will not offer “Theater 4: Advanced Acting Ensemble” for the 2015-2016 school year.
Nina Lynn, the Speech and Theater Department Chair, explained that enrollment for senior theater classes varies year to year.
Lynn said, “When I started here, there was only one senior theater class and kids actually had to apply and interview to get in. That was about 20 years ago.”
Interest was sometimes so high that students were turned away.
“At one point, we were talking to our students about why they were taking a class or not, and students said they were not able to commit to a three or four-level major in addition to the other classes. They knew that the class demanded a certain amount of commitment that they could not live up to, or fit into their schedule,” explained Lynn.
After these discussions, Lynn said that students came up with the idea of offering an eight-level senior theater class. This is now the department’s fourth time offering that class and it has always had lower enrollment than other classes.
More theater students would rather take the level three/four class than the level eight class. Junior Dana Munro registered for the “Advanced Acting and Directing” (AAD) course, which has a rigorous reputation.
“I’ve heard that it’s ridiculously hard. People rehearse their scenes outside of school, which is a big deal for us because theater has never been that big of a commitment in the past three years. I’ve heard that it is really intense, but I am totally excited for that because I know it will pay off,” said Munro.
Sophie Baumruck, a junior, said, “I’m taking ‘Advanced Acting and Directing.’ I’m super excited because for the first semester it’s all about improving as an actor, and in the second semester we direct in what’s called a Directing Project. Even though I hear it’s a lot of work, I love theater and plan to pursue it in and after college, so it seemed like the right choice for me.”
Lynn explained that the theater department is trying to raise enrollment numbers for next year.
“We are meeting with kids to find out, if they were to run into the scheduling problem again, what would make it possible for them to take the class,” said Lynn.
“Or what makes them choose the four-level over the eight-level. And we’re getting some really interesting information from that. Next, I’ll look at the data and at the information that kids have given us and see if there is a way to refine the minor version of the course in a way that will be more appealing to more students.”
The department and Lynn found that there are a lot of competing factors occupying students’ interests. When it comes to how students fit their whole day together, it’s becoming more and more challenging. Lynn stated that it’s up to her department to find the ways to be more flexible and meet the needs of students.
Lynn also said that the reason for the low enrollment may just be that students want to take the level four course (and do not have the need for a level eight).
Many theater students are very excited for their next year in the theater department, however. Junior Alyson Weber said, “I am taking AAD next year. I chose this class because ever since I was a freshman I had heard so many great things about the class and to be able to direct your very own portion of a play and take on that responsibility seemed like such a great opportunity.”