Shalev Biton shares story about surviving Oct. 7 attack in Israel

NT hosts Israeli survivor for school-day event attended by specific group of students and faculty
Hafron
Biton sharing personal account of Oct.7 attack using pictures and videos

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on Friday, but it is being republished March 24 due to technical difficulties.

On March 14, Shalev Biton, a 25-year-old survivor of the Hamas-led Oct. 7 attack in Israel, shared his experience in the McGee Theatre with New Trier High School’s Hebrew classes, Jewish Affinity Group members, and Jewish staff during the school day.

After being contacted by a New Trier alum who is connected with a group called Faces of October Seventh, Hebrew teacher Kimberly Hafron decided to coordinate this event with Associate Superintendent Dr. Chris Johnson. 

Faces of October Seventh aims to educate and humanize the experiences of those impacted by the Oct.7 terrorist attack through speakers sharing their stories at various college campuses and communities in North America.

The number of attendees for this event was limited, which was an intentional decision made by Hafron. 

“I did not advertise [this event] because I did not want to provide any opportunity for negativity or protests surrounding this event,” Hafron said. “It was meant to be a personal account about survival and hope for a specific group of students. It was not a place for politics or opinions about the current situation in Gaza and Israel.”

I appreciate the support of our administration with this event. New Trier should be proud to have supported a school-day event of this nature.

— Kimberly Hafron

Biton told his story using photos and videos from his experience on Oct.7, giving the audience a timeline of his day and what he was doing before and after Hamas began to attack Israel.

He is from northern Israel and is pursuing studies in music production and sound design in Tel Aviv. Prior to that, he served in the Israel Defense Forces as a staff sergeant. Following his military service, he embarked on a year-long journey around the world, visiting places such as South America, Colombia, Peru, and Australia before returning to Israel a couple weeks before the attack.

Biton attended the Nova Festival on Oct.7, an outdoor trance music festival, with his five friends whom he had not seen for a few years. It was supposed to be a chance for them to reunite and spend time together.

After arriving at the festival early in the morning, building his campsite, and exploring the area, Biton returned to his tent to fall asleep. He woke up a couple hours later to the sound of an explosion. Sensing something unusual but seeing no news headlines on Israeli websites, he initially ignored the loud noise. Less than an hour later, he heard missiles, describing them as a “unique sound that you cannot miss.” 

An announcement at the festival declared a “red alert,” indicating violence in the area. Biton and two of his friends decided to split from the other three, attempting to take the main road to Tel Aviv. During their attempted escape, they heard numerous gunshots and roads were blocked by the Hamas terrorists. 

While in the car, his cousin, a police officer, called, urging him to leave his car and hide. He ran fast, eventually reaching a large field where he and his friends were fired upon by the terrorists. They all laid on the floor and crawled until the shots stopped and then they continued running.

After journeying five miles through the desert, they came across a farm where a man provided them with food, water, and necessities. They rested there until Hamas terrorists approached the property, causing him and his friends to hide under the building in a cramped space.

The owner of the farm convinced the terrorists that no Jewish people were nearby, and fortunately, the terrorists then fled. Afterwards, Biton and his friends managed to escape and drive home safely while seeing broken and flipped cars along the road.

Biton was grateful for the opportunity to share his story, emphasizing that he wants everyone to understand the reality of the attacks and not deny any part of it. He also mentioned that this tragic experience taught him the importance of cherishing every moment since he could have seen his life end that day.

“Love the people around you, your family, your friends, and be kind. We want to make the world better and not let the terrorists win,” Biton said.

Biton also expressed his sympathy for Jewish individuals in the U.S considering the rise of antisemitism ever since the Oct.7 attack and beginning of the Israel-Hamas War. 

Senior Zach Yulish found the speaker intriguing, pointing out how the first-hand perspective made everything more poignant and impactful.

“When he showed us the photos and videos and made the stories all real, it was hard to look at because it made me think of all of those who died,” Yulish said. “I’m glad I got to hear his story. First-person sources are super important in today’s day and age.”

Junior Natalie Weiner also felt moved by Biton’s story and hoped that the audience could take away valuable insights from listening to his narrative.

“It was great to have another perspective to the conflict we are facing and hear what it was like to not only be in Israel during this time, but to be where the conflict originated,” Weiner said. “Since October 7, as you know, school has felt like a different place and it was nice to be validated and to know that we are not alone and that we will fight this together.”

New Trier was one of the only schools in the North Shore that invited Biton to speak during the school day and allowed him to share his story.

“I appreciate the support of our administration with this event,” Hafron said. “New Trier should be proud to have supported a school-day event of this nature.”

View Comments (23)

• M

Matt Garland
    Mar 27, 2024 at 1:23 pm

I was extremely disappointed to see this article coming from a source like the NT News. The fact that the issue in Gaza and Palestine wasn’t mentioned at all in the article feels like the article is maybe 1/3 or halfway done. I hope to see improvements in the future

Reply
  • M

Matt
    Mar 27, 2024 at 11:53 am

Beautiful job of reporting, Kate. You wrote a great piece here. I wish I could have attended, but this was a great summary of the event. You should be proud.

Reply
  • M

M
    Mar 26, 2024 at 1:42 pm

Agreed. Would love to see Palestinian students share their first hand perspectives on the war. Since the conflict has been affecting their lives for many past years, shouldn’t be hard to find first hand accounts and students willing to share.

Reply
  • S

Samah
    Mar 26, 2024 at 5:47 am

Palestinians have been enduring far worse for the last 75 years. Have you ever thought of bringing in Palestinian voices? They’re enduring a genocide by a country that does not believe they’re human. Over 30,000 people being slaughtered and Israeli citizens are stopping food and aid trucks from entering that are needed to help the people of Gaza that are going through a deliberate famine and destruction of their health care system.

Reply
  • N

Noreen Khan
    Mar 25, 2024 at 10:44 pm

NT lets work on getting a Palestinian survivor to tell their story of what they experienced living under the Israeli government or maybe an expert opinion of a Palestinian. I agree with this boy , we should all be exposed to the REAL reality and No one including NT administration should DENY any part of the attacks in Palestine. Both sides matter.

Reply
  • F

Fariha Shakeel
    Mar 25, 2024 at 10:27 pm

Our educational institutions should be 100% bias free. These places are to educate young people about the “facts” of past and present. They need to know the history without any editing. Such events at our local schools will only make it impossible to achieve above mentioned goals. If only to be fair, NT should give the other perspective too, by letting a chance to Palestinian voice be heard from their platform.

Reply
  • M

Matthew J.
    Mar 25, 2024 at 9:53 pm

Next time, also invite a Palestinian survivor of genocide done by Israelis.

Reply
  • S

S. S.
    Mar 25, 2024 at 9:33 pm

New Trier High School is apparently known to foster critical thinking in students. However, I find this extremely difficult to believe, considering you have chosen to completely ignore the relentless oppression faced by the Muslims in Palestine. Raise awareness of both sides of the conflict, instead of exposing students to the side that you are biased towards.

Reply
  • I

Inas A
    Mar 25, 2024 at 9:05 pm

The victims of October 7th and the Palestinian civilian victims of conflict deserve to have their story told in a communal context. The manner in which New Trier conducted this, as a segregated event catering exclusively to one side, wholly disenfranchises the Palestinian narrative and promotes bias, inequality, and lack of empathy. New Trier has an obligation to rectify this, for the sake of upholding the values for which the community stands.

Reply
  • S

Safia
    Mar 25, 2024 at 6:56 pm

Great way to show one side of the story. Now let’s balance it out and show the other side. Thousands were killed in Palestine before October 7th and tens of thousands are being killed after October 7th. Let’s bring some of those stories as well. I would recommend inviting a Palestinian that has lived under the decades long occupation, another Palestinian who was kicked out of their home and forced to be a refugee in another part of Palestine, and someone that has witnessed the current bombing in Gaza. Your students have a lot to benefit from hearing All of the different experiences.

Reply
  • E

Edin
    Mar 25, 2024 at 6:55 pm

Really interesting that one side gets to be humanized and heard, while Palestinians who suffered immeasurably under occupation for decades have no voice.
    Israel is an apartheid state and being against that is not antisemitism at all.

Reply
  • S

S Barkat
    Mar 25, 2024 at 6:53 pm

Frankly I find it appalling that a school boasting such a high caliber of education should be so biased in its representation of this genocide. To discuss what happened on October 7th and obliterate the 75 years before it and the ongoing genocide after is not education but indoctrination. This is so insulting and hurtful to the sensibilities of the Palestinian and Muslim
    Community who are being sent the message that their immense catastrophic loss of life does not even warrant an educational seminar to bring light to the issue. This is extremely poorly done of New Trier. I would hope that this is rectified by bringing in the Palestinian voice to present the side that currently is being absolutely ignored.

Reply
  • M

Mariam
    Mar 25, 2024 at 5:56 pm

It would be most beneficial to the students and community for both the Israeli and Palestinian points of view and realities to be addressed and heard. Since 1948 Palestinians have had to endure the occupation, settler colonial system, apartheid, and continuation of their rights as humans denied. This is not a point of view, or perspective, this is a fact- an indisputable reality for millions. October 7th did not happen in a vacuum. It is more important to know the cause and effect of events in history, not just a tragic event as if it were a standalone event.

Reply
  • T

Tim
    Mar 25, 2024 at 5:55 pm

Where are the stories of Palestinian holocaust. Where are the suffering of eight decades of illegal occupation and theft?

Reply
  • A

A. Ahmed
    Mar 25, 2024 at 5:55 pm

There are many Palestinians who would love to share their perspective on how they have been treated over the last 75 years and especially over the last 6 months. Some parity in educating others on the Palestinian struggle would enrich the minds of the students.

Reply
  • S

Shakeel Siddiqui
    Mar 25, 2024 at 5:18 pm

When are you going to humanize Palestinian experience and forced diaspora which started way before Oct 7. If you’re sincere and humane then address the root cause of this conflict – OCCUPATION

Reply
  • A

Almas Hussain
    Mar 25, 2024 at 5:08 pm

It is great that this survivor spoke at New Trier, however , I think a big part of education is to examine both sides and to perhaps open up room for objectivity . I think it would be helpful to also have an individual who has survived the Gaza attacks. This will leave the students open to discuss both sides of the situation.

Reply
  • N

Nicholas Weinstein
    Mar 25, 2024 at 12:10 pm

It’s fascinating because the October 7 attack survivors can speak about their experiences but the Palestinians? The Israeli state has been genociding and bombing them so that they can’t speak about their experiences.

I hope New Trier will make an effort to seek Palestinian voices. The fact that Palestine is not mentioned once on this article shows a clear bias that a newspaper should specifically try to minimize in their work.

Reply
  • M

Mal S
    Mar 25, 2024 at 10:56 am

Human behavior will always be human behavior. A psycho-analysis:)
    I completely understands why this events was by invitation only.
    When someone is planning an event to inform people and make them aware and then makes this event as quiet and hush hush as possible.. it simply means they are not proud rather in doubt of the subject matter they are presenting. Otherwise it would broadcasted and organizers would be unapologetic.
    The organizers can convince themselves that the secrecy was because they didn’t want people protesting BUT the truths (whether they have the guts to see it or not) is that they were scared of broadcasting such an event knowing that the American public sees the truth behind the conflict.
    Thus, thank you for making it a hush hush event, that actually made me happy. My request is to please keep it outside our PUBLIC schools, Thank you.

Reply
  • N

Najwa M
    Mar 25, 2024 at 12:02 am

It’s interesting that your comment section clearly states you will not accept any form of racism or prejudice yet this whole article is incredibly prejudice. I hope my comment will not be censored based on our differences of opinion on this and the agenda behind it. Let’s teach our students to look at the whole picture and not just have a narrow view. Bring in a Palestinian to speak and balance the scales. Palestinians, specifically Gazans, have been terrorized for decades, let’s hear their side as well. Host a Gazan, balance the scales, NT. An educational institution must uphold balance.

Reply
  • N

Nancy Pumpei
    Mar 24, 2024 at 11:53 pm

Great. Now let’s bring in some survivors of the horror inflicted on Palestinians over decades. Your bias is showing. Way to divide your community:

Reply
  • F

Fatima
    Mar 24, 2024 at 10:55 pm

This school district needs to make an effort to present the Palestinian strife to students as well. While Oct 7th was horrific, the atrocities of the IDF before and after Oct 7th cannot be ignored. There are thousands of Palestinians right here in Chicago who have directly lost families members, lost their property, and continue to live in fear day to day as their family members fight for survival in Gaza. What a shame that this school district chose a one-sided approach for their student. Is this how we produce independent critical thinkers?

Reply
  • R

Renee Kruss
    Mar 24, 2024 at 4:40 pm

You should be proud that NT provided this opportunity for the students and faculty. as a Jewish grandma I say thank you so much

Reply