Think about the polar bears

Let’s talk about something that everyone loves to talk about; the weather. No but seriously, am I the only one who’s noticed that it has been unseasonably warm lately? The changing weather patterns are imminent, and although some may disagree, it is a cause for concern.

Aside from the fact that the world is ending in 14 days, I really think humanity needs to focus its attention on the fact that the environment has some form of influenza and a fever. With all the smoke and emissions we’ve put into the air with the manufacturing of the super important things in life like snuggies and sham-wows, it’s a surprise that the ground hasn’t opened up and eaten us all.

The evidence is there. In the past five years the ice caps have melted 3%. According to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, “the low point came on Sunday, when ice covered just 24% of the Arctic Ocean. The previous low of 29% was set in 2007.” It may not seem like a big deal, however it’s extremely hard to reverse the melting of the ice caps. The ice caps at the north pole are the worlds air conditioner, and the more they melt, the warmer the world gets, the warmer the world gets, the faster the ice caps melt.

It’s a cycle that will progress faster and faster and will become harder to stop, kind of like Lindsay Lohans list of DUI’s.

This time of year, the streets of Winnetka are usually covered in snow and UGG footprints. However, it was 60 on Monday and tanning oil sales went through the roof as girls worked on getting super tan before they go on winter break and get super tan.

It’s slightly unnerving that while the rate of floods, superstorms, and drought is on the rise, the media and pop-culture is talking about the latest iPhone 5 or Justin and Selena breaking up. Siri isn’t going to be there for you when the power goes out during a storm and your iPhone dies.

Hurricane Sandy was the largest Atlantic hurricane in history and scientists say that the massive size of the storm directly correlates to global warming. New York and New Jersey were flooded before the worst part of the storm even hit land. 150 people were killed and 9 million were left without power. It was the first hurricane to cause blizzards and cost over $50 billion in damage. But none of this is even remotely important, because the Jersey Shore house is now ruined, so all we are left with are the memories of Snooki waking up to pickles under her bed.

If you think global warming isn’t affecting your life then think again. The quality of the air you breathe, the dying polar bears, and your protection from radiation and UVB rays are all under the umbrella of things the health of our world effects. It’s one thing to not be educated on these issues; however if you know that you can help change this issue then it’s your job to do so. There are millions of things that you can do to help, even if it’s in the smallest way: use less paper, use public transportation, use less light, turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth, reduce your shower time by five minutes, pick up your dog’s poop with grocery bags. You wouldn’t spit your gum out on the floor in your kitchen if the trashcan was two feet away, so why do it to your planet. The earth is our home too, and it’s time to clean it up.