Survival Tips for New Trier

1. Stay organized. As tempting as it may be to throw the notes from every morning class into a single binder, this won’t serve you very well when you need to quickly review parabolic functions before a test. Make separate folders for each of your classes, label them accordingly, and organize notes for tests and quizzes. You’ll thank yourself later for making it so easy to find study materials. Even seniors have first semester finals.

2. Eat breakfast. Unless your advisory is sharing bagels or donuts in the morning, you’re going to want to eat before school starts. You may have difficult classes early on, or maybe you have sixth period lunch, in which case, it’ll be hard to stay focused without having eaten the most important meal of the day. Or at least bring a snack.

3. Those of you who are over-scheduled need not read this one: you can have lunch anywhere. For the rest of you: if the cafeteria is full, don’t fret. Groups of students convene mainly throughout the hallways, the small cafeteria, and the scrounge during their lunch periods. You may even want to eat outside when the weather is nice. Besides, it’s hot and chaotic in the cafeteria room, making just about any other location in the school a more desirable place to sit. (Although, take note that just outside both cafeterias, advisories occasionally hold bake sales.)

4. Get help. New Trier has many resources for students to understand what’s going on in their classes. The Reading and Writing Center, for example, is open every day. Tutors there are available to help you with reading comprehension and essay writing, but most of them also offer assistance in classes from chemistry to French. There’s also the Math Resource Center; tutors in that room can help you with any math problem you might have. Math textbooks are located there, so you can get your algebra homework done at school. Finally, don’t forget the department offices. Each teacher has a free period during which you can schedule a meeting to ask questions as necessary. If you’re confused in any subject, go see a tutor or your teacher- you’ll be glad you did.

5. Get involved. Try out for a sport or join a club. Whatever you’re interested in, New Trier students have organized a club for it. There are ample social service clubs, from visiting a senior center to helping out at a youth center. There are performing arts clubs, student publications, intramural sports, spirit clubs, just about anything you can think of. Don’t see a “bird watching club” in the After the Academics booklet? Talk to the Activities Coordinator about starting one. Clubs and sports are great ways to get to know new people and to take a break from your academic load.

6. Take advantage of electives. Maybe you’d like to be cast in a play. Take a theatre class. Or you’d like to make works of art. Consider enrolling in glass art. Perhaps you’re really passionate about the school newspaper, in which case, you should take journalism. New Trier offers everything- from performing arts to engineering- to satisfy whatever you are interested in. Try something new. You might surprise yourself.