Is Senioritis an Empty Threat?

It’s that time of year again. That time when snow covers the ground, frigid cold tickles the noses of students as they sprint into school, trying to escape the brutal Chicago winter, and of course, it’s that time when Senior’s begin to slack off.
Of course, I’m talking about second semester.
Throughout high school, students always dream about being second semester seniors. No more college applications, no more ACTs, and — the best part — no need to do homework.
However, the last part tends to fluctuate. Many students, whether they are into college or not, explain how they’ll no longer have to do homework, or study, or “try” in school, but this is not the case.
Over the course of four years, students work hard to get themselves into a good position not only for high school success, but college success as well.
By not trying in their last semester of high school, students are sending a poor message, not only to their teachers, but to themselves. To not work as hard as one has for the first three and a half years in high school compromises what you have worked towards.
Not working in the second semester is like a marathon runner stopping to take a break when the finish line is 100 feet in front of them.
While the determination and grit may not be at the same level, students owe it to themselves to finish strong.
In addition to losing the work ethic many students have developed over their high school careers, colleges are well aware of students’ second semester grades.
Seniors always hear the horror stories about that student who lost their admissions offer at XYZ University; and while this tale does not occur that often, it is a possibility; so why compromise not only your high school career, but your future by tanking second semester.
Now this is not to say seniors should not enjoy themselves during the second semester. After graduation, many of us will never see each other again; and while that is a scary thought, it is not something to dwell upon.
This is a time for seniors to enjoy each other’s company, and maybe get to know people they haven’t been as close with over the past few years.
While social hierarchies and friend groups tend to create a divisive and cutthroat atmosphere amongst students, now is the perfect opportunity to move beyond those boundaries and cherish the the time students have left together.
While second semester seems like the perfect time to “forget” to do homework, or not work as hard in school, students should recognize they owe it to themselves to continue to push, as they have from day one of Freshman year.
In addition, Seniors, take this time to recognize and appreciate your fellow Trevians.
Your days at New Trier are numbered, now go take advantage of every moment you have left.