Don’t trust the juice revoloution

With summer creeping up on us from around the corner, the typical bikini-ready frenzy has begun. This is the case every spring when you realize the extra food you ate while in hibernation mode has added to your body weight. These few additional pounds aren’t easy to shed.
Some blow the dust off their gym shoes, scavenge through their wallets to the deepest folds, pull out their membership card, and head on over to their gym for some serious sweat time.
Others grab their keys and take a trip to the nearest juice bar or smoothie place and order something green.
Now I completely understand the allure in a green drink. I mean, c’mon, I read “Green Eggs and Ham,” too, as a child. It was utterly fascinating. I just didn’t see that applying to my food in the real world.
Luckily, the health experts have come together and invented a delicacy including juiced greens like kale, collards, or chard (yes, those are real vegtables).
The hype started when we all saw those Instagrams of stars drinking pressed plants in LA, and we bought into the movement. Desperately wanting that pure, healthy lifestyle, we started to drink the green kool-aid, too.
Even though I am a fan of blindly following fads because “everyone” says it’s good for you, I was wary about the juices and smoothies. I have always been health conscious, whether I chose to follow that consciousnes or not, and I knew this drink couldn’t forgive all my midafternoon snacking, or mint chocolate chip ice cream binging. The occasional green smoothie would not bring my body ultimate health satisfaction.
In fact, a majority of the smoothies people may choose to indulge in may actually have more negative repercussions than positive ones.
The 16 oz “Amazing Greens” smoothie from Jamba Juice, which includes super greens, pumpkin seeds, and peaches, gives you 11g of protein, 2.5 servings of fruit, and 1 serving of vegetables. It is 420 calories, 74g of carbs, and 72g of sugar. And that smoothie is under the nutritious smoothies tab.
Personally, (note that I am 5’1”) I am supposed to eat under 52g of sugar a day. In one drink alone I have exceeded my goal on something not very filling, or good for me.
Now let’s forget the carbs and sugar and pretend that calories are the only thing we care about. 420 calories is a whole meal.
Do you remember the last time you drank a smoothie from Jamba Juice? You probably called it a snack, or maybe even a drink to go along with your actual meal.
Jamba Juice? Fattening? (duh). For some of you that may have been less of a revelation. Another example may surprise you.
TrueJuice is stationed in Winnetka on Chestnut road and is raved about for “cramming 5 pounds of fruit or vegetables into a 16 ounce bottle.” Super healthy right? Obviously, you drink that and you’re basically an Olympic athlete graced by the health gods.
After calling the store to ask how many calories was in one of thier cold pressed juices I was told that number was unavailable. However, I can only imagine how many sugars and carbs are crammed into a 6oz cup. You can make smoothies the right way for proper nutrient absorption and digestion which helps with weight loss.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition did a study of over 1,700 Swedish men who indicated that consumption of fruits and vegetables was associated with a decreased risk of heart disease, but only when combined with full-fat dairy consumption.
To work the nutrients in your smoothie or juice to your better ultimate advantage you can throw in a scoop of full fat yogurt or coconut cream, which added with the nutrients in the vegetables, will increase absorption into the blood stream.
And if you are in the act of trying to lose weight, the time it takes to chew whole vegetables and fruits not only burns more calories, but takes up more space in your stomach which affects how full you feel.
You would be much better off snacking on raw green vegetables like broccoli, snow peas, sliced bell pepper, cucumber slices, celery stalks, or string beans then slurping down a smoothie on the go.
Remember that everyone’s caloric intake is unique and that food fads may work for some, while negatively affecting others. Always research your options and make an educated decision on what you decide to put in your body whether you are trying to lose weight or just be healthy.
And my opinion, of course, is that it just isn’t worth it to waste a bunch of calories on a drink to get your nutrients whether you are on a diet or not.