NT Green puts opponents on ice

The New Trier Green club hockey team faced back-to-back matchups against two of the strongest SHL (Scholastic Hockey League) teams last weekend, beating out one of their top rivals, Glenbrook North 7-6. Their other game at Rockford on Saturday, Dec. 1, was cancelled due to poor ice conditions.

“We had a 7-2 lead [over GBN] in the third and saw it evaporate,” said Tom Dubin, the club coach. “It was nice to beat the number one team in the state.”

New Trier is now 11-0 in league play and 23-4 overall.

According to Dubin, the team was well prepared but concerned that playing 4 games in a week would catch up to them by their game at GBN on Sunday, Dec. 2. Still, each of the players were very excited to compete.

Last Tuesday, New Trier scored a season high 10 goals against the Barrington Broncos. The win improved New Trier’s SHL record to an impressive 9-0.

“Brian Enriquez had 3 goals and Kyle Melton 2. Chris Dubin scored his first goal of the year,” said coach Dubin.

At their next game on Wednesday, Nov. 28, the Green team defeated St. Viator 13-5. Enriquez, Melton and Drew Koch scored 8 of New Trier’s 13 goals. Coach Dubin’s strategy was to play a “high tempo” game, to be consistent, and not to overlook their opponents due to the important games coming up that weekend.

Many of the seniors also wanted to win Loyola’s Thanksgiving Tournament, but the team fell short to Carl Sandburg High School in the semi-finals falling 5-4.

“I know the boys weren’t happy about that,” said senior player Alex Pegler. “But we have much more to look forward to, like the Quad-header where we play Loyola.” The Quad-header will be held at the Winnetka ice rink on Dec. 8. The Green team will also play the Loyola Ramblers at Soldier Field in February.

According to Pegler, the hardest team they played this season was the U18 Huskies Central States Midget Major team. New Trier played the Huskies close, winning 3-2.

Earlier this year, senior player Doug Smart broke his foot and was out for much of the season, but he bounced back quickly and has been playing well so far.

“We also had another scary moment two weeks ago,” said teammate Brad Glass. “One of our best defensemen, Graham Soman, separated his shoulder. There were questions whether he would even play another game this season, but fortunately he is only out for another couple weeks.”

Many players on the team agree that, so far, their season has been going great, and they are all very excited for the rest of the year.

“Our season this year has been going pretty well,” Glass said. “Our record right now is 20-4. I’m not sure what last year’s team’s record was, but I think our records are pretty similar.

Teammate Brent Segvich agrees. “I think that the season is going very well,” Segvich said. “Our team has won many big games so far: GBN, Romeoville, Phoenix, Rockford, Naperville North and Naperville Central. Our team also has great chemistry, which helps when you play a long season.”

This Saturday, Dec. 8, the Green Team will take on another rival, Loyola Gold, along with Glenbrook South the following Monday at the Winnetka Ice Rink.

“That’s the game that’s most important to us during the regular season,” said Pegler. “That’s the game we have our eyes on.”