Fans excited for NHL return from lockout

There is one thing that all hockey fans, regardless of team allegiance, felt this winter—the relief of the National Hockey League lockout being over. The 2012-2013 NHL lockout began on Sept 15, 2012 and ended on Jan 12, 2013 when an agreement on revenue distribution between the NHL’s players and owners, was reached. The season finally started Saturday, Jan 19.
The NHL lockout caused the cancelation of 510 games, including the Winter Classic and all-star game. According to The Sporting News,
“The voting results were 667 in favor, with 12 votes against ratifying the agreement…Of the 763 players, 679 voted (89 percent)…” With the 113-day lockout finally over, fans are happy about the start of the 48- game shortened season, “I am so happy the lockout is over. I come from a big hockey family: my dad played and now my brothers play. We were feeling deprived of hockey, but now we are ecstatic that the game is back” said Senior Katie Chang.
The NHL is no stranger to lockouts. In 1995 the NHL faced a similar 48-game schedule after its lockout, “’I heard the ’94-’95 season was very intense,’ Blackhawks player Patrick Kane said in the Chicago Sun-Times. ‘I think you can expect the same thing here…As time goes on, it’s definitely going to get very intense because of the short season. It’s going to be interesting.” Because there are a lot fewer games, every game is worth more.
To many New Trier students, they are thrilled that the lockout has come to an end. Now that it is over, New Trier students are eager to get back to watching and attending games.
“I am glad the NHL lockout is over because watching the KHL, the Kontinetal Hockey League, was terrible-the players don’t play as well in that league. I have played hockey since I was three and I have always loved the sport. I am really excited that the lockout is over because I will be going to a few games and March and I will most likely attend the playoffs,” said Junior Joey Montesano.
Throughout the turmoil of the lockout, New Trier Blackhawks fans have stayed true to their Chicago team. “I am glad the lockout is finally over because after the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup a lot of people were interested in following them so it was kind of disappointing that the lockout happened.” Despite the lockout, junior Elizabeth Leavey does not plan to boycott the team, “I have been to many Blackhawks games and I can’t wait to attend some this season. The games are so intense and fun to go to.” Around the league games have been sold out. Fans don’t seem to have any hard feelings this year. This wasn’t the case after the 2004 full season lockout.
Students don’t just look to the Blackhawks for entertainment, but also for hockey lessons. “I am very happy that the lockout is now over. My family and I are really big hockey fans and I play so we are all relieved that there is going to be a 2012-2013 season. I can watch the NHL games and improve my own skills by learning from the professionals,” said Junior Shane Kjellenberg.
With the lockout officially over and the start of the 2013 NHL season, hockey fans at New Trier have a short, but intense season to look forward to.
“I was really happy when I found out that the lockout was over and that the Blackhawks were going to have a 2013 season, even if it is shortened. The games are so fun to go to because hockey is such a fun sport to watch, especially at the professional level. A lot of people at New Trier are such big fans, so I know that everyone is pretty happy that there is going to be a season, ” said Junior Katie Muth.