Molyneaux picked to head boys soccer

There’s nothing Coach Wesley Molyneaux loves more than being out on the soccer field, feeling the turf beneath his cleats, and coaching his players on their next move. As a former New Trier student, he can really put himself in his students’ cleats. And Varsity Head Coach Craig Fairbairn has recognized that trait. That’s why when he retires at the end of this school year, Molyneaux will become his successor and leader of New Trier’s soccer program.
Molyneaux is well-qualified to take the reins of the program. He has coached the JV girls team for the last six seasons, and he has been the assistant varsity coach for the boys program for the last eight years. Molyneaux has worked with Fairbairn officially for 9 years, helping out with the summer program for three years before that. He played all four years of his college career at Depauw University as a goalkeeper and four more on the New Trier Varsity team when he was a Trevian, under the guidance of Fairbairn.
“When I was a varsity soccer player at New Trier, Fairbairn was my coach. I have always looked up to and respected Craig as a coach, mentor and friend. It truly has been an honor to come back and work with him,” Molyneaux said. “My hope is to continue many of the same great New Trier soccer traditions that Coach Fairbairn has worked so hard to achieve. I also hope to bring a new wave of energy and a focus on strength and conditioning.”
Fairbairn has been impressed by Molyneaux’s dedication both to the game and to his students. “I see a young man who is willing to give up his time for students in the classroom and students [on the soccer field] with one goal in mind, to make them better students and better people.”
In addition to coaching soccer, Molyneaux teaches Anatomy and Physiology at New Trier. As an alum, he offers a unique perspective for current students. “I have really enjoyed coming back and becoming a teacher and coach. I feel like I have a strong understanding of New Trier culture and the New Trier student athlete,” Molyneaux said.
Fairbairn would have to agree. He sees Molyneaux’s return as a plus for his coaching. “Coach Molyneaux has brought the experience of a college level player who attended New Trier and played here as well. He has the enthusiasm and work ethic it takes for players to take their games to the next level,” Fairbairn said. “His energy is engaging and it is good to see players tune in to him as we coach. He is very tuned into teaching the game he loves and respects. It also doesn’t hurt that he can still play and demonstrate. He has the ability to get kids to want to be better, his class work and relationships with his students will also bear that trait out.”
Molyneaux appreciates all the responsibilities of what being the director of the soccer program will entail, but looks forward to the opportunity to work with students. “As a head coach you are in charge of scheduling games, ordering gear, making the final decisions at tryouts and then dealing with some of the hurt feelings as a result. I think those are the most challenging. The most rewarding part is simply working with great student athletes every day, while playing a game I truly love,” he said.
Fairbairn is looking forward to witnessing how Molyneaux will influence the program in the coming years. “I see him building a solid program with his hard work and his own vision for success. It is going to be exciting to see New Trier soccer in the next 5 years.” Molyneaux is enthusiastic about the future as well. “I hope we [will be] competing for state championships on a regular basis. We have a great feeder program, wonderful players, and awesome coaches.”
Looking to next season, his big goals are to beat Evanston and get to the Regional championship game, as well as making sure every player enjoys themselves and has fun. “Competing for a conference championship is a very realistic goal and will be one of our main focuses going into the season,” he said. Molyneaux will accomplish this many ways with his players, but a favorite method of his is video analysis. “I think players can learn a lot from watching themselves play. I believe it helps them not only learn technique but also the tactics of the game,” he said.
Molyneaux will be joining the ranks of New Trier’s historic soccer program when he takes over next year. “The New Trier program has been well respected from its beginnings in the late 60’s. The game has evolved and so has the success of New Trier soccer,” Fairbairn said. “The [program’s] improvement will continue to evolve and change under his guidance, I have no doubt about that.”