Girls track hits the ground running into new season

As we continue through second semester, New Trier’s winter sports are midway through their seasons and are preparing their athletes for the post season.
One of winter’s most popular sports, Girls Indoor Track, started its season on Jan. 24, with its first meet only a week after on Jan. 31.
This was the traditional Freshman/Sophomore meet, an event held each season for the younger class to get a feel for the sport. With almost two hundred girls participating, the team has high hopes for the upcoming season.
With new talent coming in, and old veterans staying strong, head coach Robert Spagnoli is passionate about his work and excited to see the girls grow into sophisticated runners while enjoying themselves.
“We are extremely optimistic and feel our numbers are fantastic,” said Spagnoli. “Our work ethic is outstanding and we are very confident for this season.”
As head coach for 23 years at New Trier, Spagnoli sees potential in all of his athletes and is proudest when seeing a runner push themselves and achieve success.
Coaching over two hundred girls seems like a challenging job, but this track season, there are five strongwilled captains who are enthusiastic and excited about what’s ahead but also sad to be ending their New Trier track careers.
The captains are Danielle Bishop, Kathleen Keene, Sheila McCain, Moira Jorgensen and Sophie Miller. Senior Kathleen Keene, who was on the winning state cross-country team, is ready to take on more responsibilities, not just as an upperclassmen, but as a captain.
“I definitely have a bigger leadership role this year both as a captain and senior,” said Keene. “I feel that compared to the past, the other runners look up to me more. I still plan on having fun, but need to keep my composure.”
Keene has already made a name for herself as one of the best long distance runners to ever go through New Trier, but continues trying to reach her full potential.
“My goal for this year is to get the qualifying time for state for the mile,” she said.
With Keene as a front runner for distance, seniors Sophie Miller and Danielle Bishop are the two sprinters cheering on all their teammates as they go.
Bishop, who at the end of sophomore year tore her ACL, has made a fast recovery and knows that this year will be a success. Even with the title of captain, Bishop feels the success of this season will come from her fellow runners with their support and devotion.
“All the seniors have done a great job of stepping up during warm up, practices, and helping out with the meets,” said Bishop.
Bishop and Keene’s co-captain, Sophie Miller, is the hurdler of the group and wants to make this last season a great experience, not just for herself, but for her the whole team.
“I’m more focused on the team than myself,” said Miller. “It’s not so much about winning, but about making sure this last season is something to remember, both on and off the track.”
Just like these three, two of tracks biggest stars, Courtney and Jessica Ackerman, are also saying farewell to the track program but planning on running in college and leaving school with some of the best performance in New Trier history.
Unfortunately, Courtney Ackerman is still recovering from an injury which occurred during cross-country. Nevertheless, she’s determined to get healthy and back on the track in time for the outdoor season to start.
“I hope to qualify for state and do the best I can in the 1600m,” said Ackerman. “Last year as a team we got eleventh place, which was the best New Trier has ever done.”
Eager to help her teammates get top ten, Courtney is looking forward to get back to her normal self and encouraging the other girls who are going through a similar situation.
“I am still struggling with my fair share of injuries and am learning some of the telltale signs of serious injuries,” said Ackerman. “When my teammates start feeling symptoms of shin or knee pain, I try to be quick in telling them to get it checked out. Now I know that if the pain is ignored, a good portion of the season could be lost.”
Being a leader is something Courtney and her sister Jessica have in common. When asked if Jessica sees herself as a leader, her response was clear and trustworthy.
“I really hope the underclassman see me as a leader,” said Jessica. “Not just because I’m on varsity or because I was a cross country captain, but because I have such a passion for the sport and I want to pass it on to as many people as I can.”
Always setting goals and pushing themselves, these twins have raised the bar at New Trier.
With intensity, passion, and love for each other and the sport, it looks like the girls of indoor track are working hard and aspiring to have a fun, successful season.