Boys lacrosse poised to get back on top

After a disappointing defeat last year in the state quarterfinals, boys lacrosse has returned more motivated than ever. And the team is ready for another playoff run, with a 12-2 record.
For the first time in seven years, the Trevians did not enter the season as the defending state champions. While a weaker team might let this put a damper on their season, the boys used it as motivation.
“Not winning last year has motivated everyone in the off-season. The team has been working out with Coach Jim Davis in the fly solo room and rededicated themselves to getting back on top,” said head coach Thomas Herrala.
Assistant head coach Jason Schoenwetter has taken a no-nonsense approach, emphasizing that the team has never been able to rest on their laurels. “Each team is different, each year is different. We try to approach it this way. The players have an opportunity to make it what they want it to be. They have to earn it,” he said.
Now the team is ready to enter the playoffs. Even with their impressive record, the team is still experimenting, and trying to get better in preparation for the playoffs.
“We’re still making some adjustments. We’re giving guys opportunities to get on the field. The guys that produce will be the ones that are going to be there at the end of the year. [Skyler] Norris has been playing well, Tyler Kroll picked it up a little bit for us at attack and [long-stick middie] Jack Hill has been a great addition to the team this year,” said Herrala.
The team has been excellent, making a state championship a distinct possibility. “Three starting attackmen (Brooks Ashmore, Rory McGinnis, Mike Thomas), top three defenseman (Dylan Curry, Chad Casas, David Stacke) and top middies (Tyler Schmarak, Michael Germano, Matt Solberg, Dan Maentz, Mic Riordan) are all returning from last year. We are looking for big things from our three Division I committed players: Curry, Germano and Schmarak. Curry anchoring the Defense, Germano controlling the faceoff draws and Schmarak to lead the offense,” said Herrala.
The team has been focusing heavily on defense and it looks like it will be excellent. “Defensively we are focusing on playing good fundamental and physical defense. We need to play smart and make the right decisions. Along with our starting three close defenseman we have great speed up top with Jack Hill, Kevin Mulhern, Charlie Schoder, Richie Thompson and Mark Lato,” said Heralla.
Special mention goes to goalie Phil Rooney, who both coaches have nothing but praise for. “With Rooney in goal we hope that we can match up with anyone in the state,” said Heralla.
The team had very little time to relax. Within their first five games, they had to face Glenbrook North, Brother Rice (MI), St. Viator and Loyola, all of which are top teams, with Loyola being the defending state champions. They defeated all of them except for Brother Rice, helping the team gain confidence going into the rest of the season.
This confidence certainly paid off. Many of their victories have been incredibly decisive, defeating Deerfield 16-1, Evanston 20-1, and Highland Park an incredible 24-0.
So far, the only teams to have defeated New Trier are Brother Rice and Culver Academy (IN), with the latter being one of the top ten teams in the nation.