Cross country sets new pace for season

New Trier’s Cross Country team has had only 2 meets so far, but there are many more to follow. The first one was the Hinsdale South Invite on Sept. 7 at Katherine Legge Park.

The Trevians finished second in the meet, losing only to Hinsdale. The pace that had been set was a little faster than anticipated. “We weren’t in the racing mindset since it was the first meet of the season, but I think that as the season progresses, we’ll all be more in the mindset when we race,” said Senior Connor Trapp.

On Sept. 21, head coach David Wisner took the top seven varsity and sophomore runners to participate in the Richard Spring Invite with 60 other teams, while the rest of the team ran in the Libertyville invite the same day. Senior Peter Cotsirilos said, “The team could’ve been a lot better overall. I personally feel that I didn’t have that good of a race”.

While the team has good days and bad days and some team members feel they could have done better, Wisner feels that the season is off to a good start. “They are very talented on all levels and are aware of the high expectations. Everyone works hard and knows what to do from experience” said Wisner.

The cross country team practices every day of the week except Sunday. The days are put in an easy to hard workout transition, but the team always practices as if they have the nationals the next day. “Practice is a 24/7 thing, we always have to be rested and able to do the workouts, if you practice badly than you’ll probably compete badly” said Cotsirilos.

The hardest days of practice can go up to distances of six miles at race pace, which roughly estimates to five minute miles. These are the days in which the runners really test themselves.

Staying hydrated is less of a priority for the team now that we enter the colder fall season. Wisner said, “The only challenge they have outside of practice is to stay healthy and try not to get sick and get eight hours of sleep”. The next two meets- the Roy Gummerson Invite and the Palatine Invite- will be on Sept. 28.

The trevians continue to commit themselves to their practices and meets. “Every day is a new day. We train like we are going to state the next day. Every day is one step closer to our goal,” said Trapp.