Club hockey off to strong start

New Trier Green club hockey defeated Glenbrook North in the State championship at the United Center last season, but New Trier lost thirteen seniors and one junior from that winning team.

Returning players Brent Segvich, Jack Junge, Brad Glass, Jered Merens, Jack Dolby, and Graham Soman will look to provide leadership. Defenseman Graham Soman said that “a lot of people doubt we can win a State championship because we are so young this year, but we feel that we can compete with anyone and will be right there come playoffs.”

Green started 7-2 on the season, defeating top teams in the State. Returning forward Brent Segvich has assumed a leadership role. He has a total of 4 goals and 3 assists through 4 SHL League games, leading the team. Like other team members, Segvich feels this team can make some noise in the postseason.

“Even though we have six returning players, our whole team has to step up because we have to make a statement that even though we have one of the youngest teams in State this year, we can still compete with older teams.”

Junior Captain, Jack Dolby said, “I think our team is very strong this year. It’s tough having to replace the fourteen guys from last year’s team, but even though we’re a younger team you could definitely see us at the United Center in April.” New Trier Green split in the first two meetings against Stevenson in this young season. They went 55-14 last year and went 3-2 against Stevenson.

Seniors Jared Projansky, Ryan Wiley, and Michael Trapp are all returning for Stevenson and New Trier Green realizes the challenge it faces. Segvich said, “Our biggest threat this year is Stevenson – they are returning their three best players from last year’s team. Stevenson played us well last year, so we know each game against them will be a good battle.”

In their most recent meeting, Green avenged their first loss to Stevenson in a 5-1 beating. New Trier Green got some senior help with a hat trick from Senior Forward Matt Solberg, who is one of the leaders in points early in the season.

Green plays Stevenson twice more in the regular season. First year player Sam Berman knows the team is young, but it is filled with talent.

“We’re young compared to other teams in the league. We’re not using that as an excuse though. Right now there are many teams that can take home a State title, it all depends on who wants to put in the work.”