Professional sports update

A-Rod Update

Alex Rodriguez was suspended for 211 games for violating Major League Baseball’s drug enhancement policy. Rodriguez is appealing his suspension, which is causing major conflicts for the Yankees and their roster next season. His hearing is scheduled for November 18 and according to the Chicago Tribune, it could take to up to 25 days until the MLB will know if A-Rod will be participating at all in the upcoming season.

“We need to know,” Joe Giardi, the manager of the New York Yankees told the Chicago Tribune. “It causes us to think a lot about, if we need a third basemen or do we not need a third basemen?”

New Cubs Manager

The Chicago Cubs recently hired a new manager who can hopefully turn around the team after the past few seasons. The new manager, Rick Renteria, is confident in the team contrary to their track record. “I can’t speak to what has happened in the past,” Renteria said to the Chicago Tribune about his first upcoming season with the Cubs. “I can only think about moving forward with the kids we have and the talent that’s being placed before us.”

Chicago Bulls Update

There are big expectations for the bulls this season, considering the early playoff exit and finally, the return of Derrick Rose. He has yet to play as well as his performance in the 2011-2012 season, averaging 5 turnovers per game which leads the league. The Bulls have not yet met those expectations, losing the first three of four games. On Friday, November 8, they changed their slow start by beating the Utah Jazz 97-73. It was an important win for the Bulls to prove that they are ready to compete this season.

Chicago Bears

On Sunday, November 10, the Chicago Bears (5-4) lost to the Detroit Lions (6-3). The score was 21-19 with the Bears failing to convert a 2 point conversion, which would have tied the game in the dying seconds of the fourth quarter. The Lions hit bears Quarterback Jay Cutler 11 times, which further hurt his groin injury causing backup QB Josh McCown to play the last series of the game. The Bears are now second in the division and play the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.

Chicago Blackhawks

The Chicago Blackhawks are 12-2-4 and second in the Central Division behind the Colorado Avalanche. They played the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday, winning 5-4 for their third consecutive victory with a record of 6-0-1 in the last seven games. The Blackhawks have lived up to their high expectations this year and are considered by many to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions.