NT green exceeding all expectations

This year’s New Trier Green Club Hockey team has shown glimpses of last year’s state championship team after an impressive start to the season.

The Club, who lost all but six members this year, have rebounded, exceeding expectations. With a team almost entirely comprised of juniors, many thought that they wouldn’t be able to contend for a state championship this year. However, so far, the Trevians have proved everyone wrong.

“We have been exceeding everyone’s expectations this year,” said junior defenseman Matt Garcia, “we have a record of 14-3 and we have some quality wins against Glenbrook North and Stevenson.”

The team has stomped lesser competition, with an 8-1 win over St. Viator, 11-0 win over Prairie Ridge, and a 6-1 win over St. Rita. New Trier has also beaten many quality teams, such as last year’s state runner-ups, GBN, Stevenson, and Providence Catholic.

New Trier Green’s strong suit is on the offensive side of the puck. The Trevians have scored 80 goals through 17 games, averaging almost 5 goals a game. On the defensive side, the Trevs have also played well.

“Brent Segvich and Matt Solberg have been unstoppable on offense so far,” said junior defenseman Graham Soman, “and on defense it has been the defensive pair of Matt Garcia and Matt Boscow.”

However, the green team still has a long way to go before the state playoffs in April, where the Green Team will look to defend their state championship. They have won 7 of the past 13 state championships. “The end goal is to always win a state championship, and to beat Loyola,” said Garcia

In fact, the club’s big game against Loyola Academy is coming up. The Quad-Header, a day in which four teams from Loyola and New Trier face off back to back: the JV teams, the Varsity Girls Teams, New Trier Blue and Loyola Maroon, and the main event: New Trier Green vs. Loyola Gold.

But in the end, it’s all about the final game at the United Center. Despite any skepticism, the New Trier Green team looks poised for another state championship.