Will Derrick Rose return to MVP form?

The Bulls’ lead was in double digits by the time I stopped watching. I don’t remember how exactly I heard the news, but it doesn’t matter. Within in a few minutes, full-fledged panic had already set in throughout Chicago. My phone was blowing up with four-letter texts; my Twitter mentions started to feel like I was observing my own wake. For Bulls fans and NBA fans alike, this was tragedy to the point of comedy. Derrick Rose had suffered yet another knee injury.

Rose’s future is now in jeopardy after he sustained another knee injury in Portland on November 22. The former league MVP and the heart and soul of the Chicago Bulls underwent surgery on Monday, November 25, to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. This is the most recent of serious injuries suffered by Rose, who was sidelined for the entire 2012-2013 season while recovering from a torn ACL in his left knee. Obviously, the question arises; will Derrick Rose ever return to the great player he once was? The answer is a resounding yes.

One of the big problems with athletes and injuries, basketball in particular, is that players typically try to return too soon. Renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews agrees, and in a recent interview with CBS, said, “Athletes that undergo reconstructive surgery are not fully healed if they do not wait the full return timetable, regardless if they are medically cleared by a team doctor or not.” Previous returns of some athletes from significant injuries in minimal recovery times increased pressure for Rose to play during last season. However, he held out despite being medically cleared to play in the playoffs, garnering negative comments from fans.

Moreover, while some players return early, not all return to the form they were before the injury. Derrick Rose’s decision to not play all of last season should have brought respect from fans, not spite. He understood that being mentally ready was as important as being medically cleared, and this mentality is why Rose will be able to return to form in the future. Rose clearly understands his entire career is not worth risking for one season, and he will return when he knows he can perform at the MVP caliber level he is capable of.

If Rose takes the proper steps to recover and does not rush back, there is no doubt he can return to form. Oklahoma City point guard Russell Westbrook suffered a similar meniscus tear in April, and returned in early November. Westbrook has not experienced a drop-off in his game, a good sign that Rose will be able to replicate his own performance when he recovers from this injury.

Furthermore, Rose’s first ACL injury did not diminish his skill or athletic ability. In fact, Rose actually improved his athleticism during his recovery, telling the Los Angeles Times that he’s “increased his vertical leap by five inches after his knee reconstruction.” Rather than seeing a loss of talent for Rose, we observed an improvement throughout his recovery.

The same traits that make athletes great are the same that can make them great again. An integration of the mental and physical aspects helps return these athletes to the game, sometimes in an even better place to be able to amaze those same fans once again. Derrick Rose may be done for the season, but his career still holds a bright future.