NT girls basketball redeemed at Beardsley

Beardsley gym was raucous Saturday night following the boys game, a blowout win for Evanston, but the New Trier girls were able to silence the formidable Evanston crowd.

New Trier (8-0, 2-0 CSL South) was led by dominant play from sophomore forward Jeannie Boehm, who had several key blocks while scoring 16 points, and was paced by strong guard play from their seniors.

“The game plan was to come out with a lot of energy and I think we did a great job of that,” said Boehm. “That energy was vital for us to win. It was also to recognize which Evanston players were shooters and then to make sure they didn’t get shots.”

It was crucial for Boehm to stay out of foul trouble, which had hindered her against Evanston last year. “This time around, I was very careful to stay straight up and block shots when they were in the air, not when the ball was in their hands,” noted Boehm. “I also made sure to be in good position on defense, so I could contest shots without fouling.”

The impact of Boehm’s presence on defense did not go overlooked.

“Jeannie allowed our defense to be as aggressive as it was,” said Coach Teri Rodgers. “If we do get beat, Jeannie is going to be back there, covering the middle, blocking shots, or just altering shots.”

Senior guards Alexa Czyzynski and Izzi Bosco and sophomore forward Kathryn Pedi also cracked double digit points for the Trevians.

“This year our team is so much more focused and we play so well together that our teamwork can convert into great things like (Saturday) night’s win,” said Bosco.

The Trevians handed Evanston (7-1, 1-1 CSL South) their first loss of the season, leaving Evanston’s coach Elliott Whitefield to wonder if his team was still thinking about the boys’ team’s dominant win earlier that evening.

“We didn’t come out with a sense of urgency,” Whitefield said to CSL Insider. “They moved the ball and we were sort of watching them. I think our heads were still in the boys’ game, thinking the boys killed them, so maybe we will. New Trier came out and outworked us.”

Pedi hit a corner three to extend the lead, and senior guard Julie Ball made another three with 40 seconds left to put New Trier up 20-7.

Evanston clawed their way back in the third quarter. A three-pointer cut the lead to eight points with 2:34 remaining, but New Trier responded with baskets by sophomore forwards Rachel West, Pedi, Boehm, and a three-pointer by Bosco with 19 seconds left to close out the quarter.

Every time it appeared that Evanston was making a run, the Trevians would come up with big baskets of their own.

“It was about bringing the team together,” Rodgers explained. “They were encouraging each other and it was a good moment for me as a coach to see the team pull together.”

Bosco exemplified the calm and collected nature of this New Trier team, quieting the Evanston crowd with two free throws following the Evanston run.

“The Trevians dribbled out the clock the last 30 seconds, and had won their most competitive game thus far.

“The environment was crazy,” Boehm added. “It was definitely more difficult to play on the road, especially against Evanston, but I think we did a great job of blocking everything out and just playing.”