NT Greens’s season cut surprisingly short

New Trier Green (NTG) had its season ended early in the Amateur Hockey Association Illinois (AHAI) state semifinals, falling 2-1 to the number 4 seeded Benet Academy Redwings.
After a scoreless first period, the Red Wings scored early in the second on a wrist shot by senior forward Bobby Ernsting. Trevians senior Harry Jones responded with a game-tying goal with 5:05 to go in the second period.
The Trevians and Redwings began the third period tied 1-1. Both teams had several chances to score, but with 4:04 left in the third period Ernsting again found the net on a rebound, giving the Redwings a lead they would not relinquish.
“I saw two guys with the puck at the point,” said Ernstring. “I knew there was going to be a shot on net. It came right to me. I was lucky enough to put it in.”
Despite pulling senior goalie Jack Junge with two minutes remaining and playing 6-5 which led to a flurry of desperation chances, the Trevians were unable to connect on the game trying goal.
“We just had to keep our head calm,” said Benet goalie Justin Davidson to the Chicago Tribune. “We had to stay in the game and finish it out.”
Davidson, an All-State goalie, turned away 40 of the Trevians 41 shots.
New Trier won both the 2013 and 2014 AHAI state championships, and was the number 1 seed in this year’s tournament. The loss is considered a huge upset, with NTG having a roster entirely of seniors with extensive tournament experience. Benet entered the game ranked number 4 in the state and was riding high on the wings of last week’s victory, in which it beat number 5 Loyola Academy 2-1 in overtime.
Before Monday night’s game, players on NTG expressed concerns about playing a Benet team that had not lost since November.
“Benet is a team with a very strong offense, so I know my team is counting on me to play well,” said Junge.
The AHAI state finals are an exciting time for all high school hockey fans, especially on the North Shore. For the past several years, New Trier has shared top rankings with its neighbors Glenbrook North and Loyola Academy. This year, Glenbrook North and New Trier were the only teams from the North Shore to make it to the final four.
Before Monday’s game, Glenbrook North coach Evan Poulakidas said, “This is the final four — there are only four teams left and each team brings their own individual threat.” In regard to Benet, Poulakidas continued, “Benet has a great offense needed to beat New Trier’s goalie. If I was Coach Melton, I would not underestimate Benet’s talent.”
Poulakidas and his Spartans will face the Redwings in the State Championship this Sunday.
The Redwings have only allowed 2 goals through both the quarterfinal game against Loyola and the semifinal game against New Trier. Both of these games were determined by one deciding goal.
“It means everything,” said Ernstring about his team heading to United Center. “We’re the best team the program has ever had. We always stick together throug thick and thin. Everything is a team thing.”
Even though this is a disappointing loss and ending for the seniors of NTG, the players’ high school careers have been marked with unprecedented success.
Many of the players on the team, including Junge, were instrumental in bringing home a state championship in 2014 and even 2013. NTG also had five players within its ranks who were chosen for the AHAI All-State Team this season.
Poulakidas seemed to sum up this legacy.
“A team has to be greater than average to beat New Trier.”