Trevian O-Lineman Palmer headed to WMU

On the heels of a successful 2014 football season, there seemed to be no doubt that the 10-2 record would carry into some players’ future football endeavors.
Senior Jack Palmer is no exception, as he is headed to Western Michigan University to play on the Broncos’ offensive line.
“Playing at a Division I school, there’s just nothing that can beat that,” said Palmer.
Most high school football players would consider playing Division I football the ultimate dream, and while it’s now a reality for Palmer, the game at the D-I level is very different from the Central Suburban League.
According to Palmer, college training can be a big transition. Players lift heavier weights, teams simply have better players, and you get to work with more experienced coaches.
“It’s definitely going to be really intense. I’m welcoming the challenge, I’ve seen the guys, I’ve seen their weight room, I’ve seen what they do in practice. It’s looking to be really fun, but it’s also going to be really difficult,” said Palmer.
The process begins on Jul. 6 when summer training starts, and while this might be intimidating for some players, Palmer is ready to meet his new team and bring his football skills to the next level.
Going from one of the best and most experienced on the New Trier football team to a newcomer on Western Michigan’s team is also a big transition. However, like anything else, Palmer is embracing the change.
Also, because training starts so early in the summer, he will have plenty of time to get to know his new teammates and coaches before the school year even begins.
“With football you build relationships pretty quickly,” said Palmer. “Even if it’s just a day camp, when you’re playing with and against these guys something happens and you just become friends.”
Palmer also credited the Trevians’ 10-2 season with providing him Division I exposure.
“I think the fact that we did really well helped, colleges always want kids who are winners and who play on good teams,” said Palmer. “But I’ve sent some really good tapes to schools and made a lot of relationships with teams, so I think I could have gotten there even if we didn’t do as great as we did this year.”
As one of the standout performers on the team, the odds were in Palmer’s favor to play at the next level. He is also not only one of the best players on the team, but one of the most respected players w well. Teammates had nothing but great things to say about Palmer.
“He always brought so much to the team, whether it was during a game or after in the locker room, he always got us excited about being able to play football,” said teammate Fuzz Coan, a senior.
While Palmer said that the football team and facilities are the main reason he committed to the Broncos, who finished their 2014-15 season 8-5 and 6-2 in their conference, the MAC, he is also excited about the academic side of Western Michigan. He was admitted to its Haworth College of Business.
If his play and reputation is any indication, Palmer is looking at a very successful four years of college football ahead of him at Kalamazoo.