Expectations high for defending state champs

The 2015 varsity boys lacrosse team is carrying its momentum from last year’s state championship title, claiming a big 16-2 win over Maine South on Apr. 17 to bring its record to 5-1.
It was a dominating result for New Trier over the rival Redhawks. Head coach Tom Herrala said, “Ten different guys scored and both goalies, Jonathan Anastos and Chris Busch, only allowed one goal and each played a half.”
The team played with intensity and kept its lead throughout the entire game. Herrala added, “The team came out with some good energy and we were able to control the pace of play and the game right from the start.”
Most of the Trevians’ typical senior starters weren’t present for the game due to various college visits, including lacrosse related ones. So, according to Herrala, the team exercised its depth chart and gave many players who don’t play much game action.
“It was nice to see the guys respond and play well,” contributed Herrala.
The team counts among its wins, conference victories over Glenbrook North, by a 5-3 score, and Glenbrook South, by a 17-6 margin, as they gear themselves towards Illinois High School Association (IHSA) playoffs at the end of May.
Last year, the Trevians faced archrival Loyola in the state championship final. Loyola led the game until David Hammes’s goal in the final minute of the game tied the score at 8, and now-graduated Matt Solberg’s overtime tally sent New Trier to a 9-8 victory.
The Trevians reclaimed the state title after two years without the trophy, notching its eighth state championship title in a span of ten years.
It was a long two year drought for a team that had won 7 consecutive championships, spanning from 2005-2011.
This is a team that has changed a bit since last year due to last year’s seniors graduating.
Five of last year’s seniors are playing in college, Jackson Kaplan at Colorado College, Shane Quirke and Mick Riordan at University of Illinois, Richie Thompson at Miami (OH) University, and David Stacke at Southern Methodist University. Solberg finished his illustrious New Trier career by leaving his mark on the Trevians’ top ten all-time lists, placing fourth for groundballs, first in assists, and tied for ninth in points. His absence left an especially big void offensively.
However, prospects for this year’s team look bright, as they have been ranked third, fourth, and seventh in the Midwest by various lacrosse magazines.
The Trevians have a big test on Apr. 28 at New Trier Stadium against a hungry Loyola squad. If last year’s championship game between these top two teams is any indication, it’s sure to be a competitive night. The two teams are interchangeably ranked by all magazines and websites within the top five in the state, along with Cary Grove, Lake Forest, and Glenbrook North.
The aforementioned Riordan was a member of last year’s championship team and is now playing at University of Illinois. He had this to say in anticipation of the Loyola game:
“There is nothing like it. Playing Loyola is a totally unique experience. There is a noticeable difference in the atmosphere of the game, and the coaches, players, and fans all realize it. After last year’s championship game, Loyola will be looking to even the score and walk away with a victory. With the experience and talent of our coaching staff and returners, I am confident New Trier can win. You are not going to want to miss it.”