Girls tennis aces the start of their 2015 season

Adam Sheffield, Sports Editor

Despite having a relatively young team, New Trier Girls Tennis has raced to a 15-0 record to start the year.
The Trevians are featuring plenty of talented underclassman and upperclassmen, with freshman Michelle Capone and sophomore Amia Ross playing number one doubles.
“Both Michelle and Mia are very solid and have been really good for us all year. They’ve really emerged for us,” said Jerry Morse-Karzen, Varsity Head Coach of girls tennis.
In addition to their perfect record, New Trier hasn’t lost a dual match all year. The big thing that everyone on the team stressed was their depth.
“The best part about this team is how close everyone is in their level. We have a lot of really good players, so we have a lot of different match ups that are possible,” said senior Libby Mohn.
While the younger members are leading the way in doubles, singles has been led by upperclassmen, with senior Cammy Frei playing number one singles.
“She’s our best player,” Mohn said of Frei. “She’s been great for us all year.”
“Cammy Frei has definitely been our best player. Not only because she’s our number one singles player, but also because of the attitude she has towards tennis and the team. She always puts in her best effort on the court and sets a great example for all of us to follow. She is an amazing player and everyone looks up to her,” said senior Emma Cavalier.
The first big test for the Trevians came when they traveled down to St. Louis to play in the Edwardsville Invite. The Trevians won the event, maintaining their perfect record.
“It was a great trip with a lot of tennis played,” said Morse-Karzen. “The whole team (20 kids) got to travel and play in the invite, which rarely happens.”
The Trevians split their team in two so that everyone could play. The second team got third in the invite.
Last season, New Trier finished fourth in state, but according to Morse-Karzen, the Trevians have potential to do even better this year.
“It’s different this year because we are just so deep. Our four to twelve players are practically interchangeable for us. It becomes difficult for us to play everyone,” said Morse-Kalazen.
“I’d say the best part of the team is actually the emphasis on the team factor,” said Cavalier. “Tennis is such an individual sport that it’s important that we remember the team aspect, and our coaches do a great job of incorporating that in. All the girls are such great girls and always support each other on and off the courts.”
Although New Trier is undefeated, according to Mohn, state may not be a given for them.
“Winning state is a realistic possibility because we have a solid lineup, but the problem is other schools like Hinsdale Central and Stevenson also have strong lineups,” said Mohn.
“We have big games coming up against Maine South, Loyola, Stevenson, and Hinsdale Central that should be great tests for us,” said Morse-Karzen.
In order to maintain their undefeated streak, the Trevians will have to rely on upperclassmen. Seniors Tess Lubin and Catherine MacKinnon, as well as juniors Michelle Buyer and Katie Lofdahl will need to continue performing well.
“I think the team doesn’t need to improve much, but if I had to pick one it would be consistency. Consistency wins matches and often we focus on point-ending drills and techniques and don’t put enough emphasis on the importance of staying consistent,” said Cavalier.