Regional finalist Stinehart in a class of his own

Kate Holly, Staff Reporter

From the first time he stepped onto the ice at just four years old, senior Eric Stinehart knew skating was something he wished to pursue.
On that day, Stinehart had accompanied his older brother on a school outing to a hockey rink, and while he was too young to actually play hockey, he still dared to tackle the ice. Even after everyone had exited the rink, Stinehart stood his icy ground, and 14 years later, he retains that mindset.
Figure skating is a year-round sport with qualifying competitions nestled in these winter months which ultimately lead up to the national competition in January. Training for these competitions requires daily practice throughout the year. “I practice for about an hour in the morning and an hour and a half to two hours during the afternoon in the school year. In the summer, I usually skate three to three and a half hours a day,” Stinehart said.
Since practice dominates time in the day, Stinehart has a modified New Trier schedule to allow for a better balance between his academics and athletics.
“It’s tough. This year, I leave after 6th period to go skating. I don’t have a lunch, and I miss advisery most days,” he said.
Stinehart’s sacrifices are well- recognized by his coach Denise Myers. Myers has been working with Stinehart for three years and has been coaching figure skaters for over 30 years. In the past, she trained other skaters from New Trier, but Stinehart is currently her only New Trier skater.
“Eric has a passion for the sport of skating,” she said. “He has a great appreciation for music, and his musicality shows through his skating. He is athletic and artistic, which is an awesome combination.”
Stinehart also has a major appreciation and talent for music. He plays the viola in New Trier’s symphony orchestra and is a leader in the service club This is Our Music. The club rehearses chamber ensemble music weekly and performs at local retirement homes.
In addition to orchestra, Stinehart also juggles a challenging course load. Barbara Joyce, Steinhart’s junior AP English teacher, said, “He always did stellar work. Even with all his commitments, he submitted everything on time.” Stinehart’s academic qualifications also extend to his position as National Merit Semifinalist after receiving an exceptional score on the PSAT his junior year.
Despite the challenge of finding a balance, Stinehart has achieved several great feats in the skating world, many of which have been recognized by local publications.
This past September, the Glencoe Anchor published a segment on his completion of the United States Figure Skating Association’s senior level, which under 1% of USFSA students achieve.
As a freshman, he won 2nd place nationally at the intermediate level. The following year, as a novice, he earned 1st place at the Upper Great Lakes Regional Championship and 3rd place in the Midwestern Regionals. This year at Regionals, Stinehart said he received his highest score overall, which was a big personal accomplishment.
After high school, Stinehart said he wants to continue skating and is hoping to compete in collegiate competitions.
“I hope that Eric continues to skate and that skating is always a part of his life,” said Myers. She also explained that in college, Stinehart would have the opportunity to compete at the Collegiate Championships.
Meg Jansen, a former skater and friend of Stinehart said that he is an incredibly dedicated athlete.
“I have known him for so long and I can honestly say that he has such an amazing drive and passion for the sport,” Jansen said. “When he is on the ice, he is just mesmerizing.”the real eric