Safe Sets claims Spike League Division A win

There were two separate playoffs for each division

Helen Fagan, Examiner Editor

Energy was high during the Spike League playoffs because close games kept the players on their toes.

Both winning teams won by only two points in their final games. Safe Sets beat Spicy Green Beans 17-15 in Division A. In Division B, Spiked It won against Price Carlson and the Crew 16-14.

Though Safe Sets took home the title, the Division A game was full of ups and downs. Junior Niko Gjaja, a member of Safe Sets said, “It started off really well, [but] we got blowtorched in the second set. We picked it up in the third and it was a good win.”

Spicy Green Beans player Kevin Tsuru said his team’s loss was due to a lack of team camaraderie. “We didn’t have enough synergy between the players. We just need to work on it and practice some more.”
Junior Lauren Johnson, who played for Safe Sets, said the energy between her teammates is what enabled them to clinch the win. “We have a lot of teamwork to really motivate each other.”

At its core, Spike League seems to be all about fun. The no-cut intramural and co-ed volleyball league plays on Monday nights. It is simply a chance for friends to hang out and have a good time.

Many of the Spike League players don’t play volleyball outside of the league. Freshman Price Carlson said, “The majority of our team rows. We’re on our offseason right now and we needed something fun to do. It’s kind of a workout but it’s still fun.”

The Spike League season ended with a bracket style final between the top 8 teams in both Division A and Division B on Feb 22.

The teams are separated into two divisions by their preferred level of competition. Division A is for more competitive teams, while Division B is a little more laid back. Senior Mary Kate Maloney, who plays for Spiked It, expressed her love for Division B. She said, “It’s more fun [because] there’s more of a team community.”

Junior Emma Lipinski, who plays for Safe Sets, commented that Division A is more geared towards athletes who play volleyball outside of the league.

“Since this is the A League, it’s a little bit more intense. Some teams don’t have people who play volleyball, but it definitely helps if you do.”

Even though no spectators watch the games, players in both divisions take the league very seriously and try their best. Senior Clare Rooney, a Spiked It player, said, “We thrive on the fun and the energy. It’s laid back for us but we’re still very competitive.”

In Division A, the stakes are even higher, as everyone plays to win. Kevin Tsuru said, “Spike League is so fun because we usually win all the time. We play really hard.”

Though winning feels great, Niko Gjaja said that he ultimately plays Spike League so he can spend time with his friends. “It’s a chance to play volleyball with my friends who I normally don’t get to see on the volleyball court. I get to have a social time and play with girls as well as guys.”