New Trier Green wins state championship

Junior Jack Raith scored four goals in the 5-2 win

Grace Cucco, Staff Reporter

The New Trier Trevian hockey team won the Varsity Red State Championship game 5-2 against the Providence Catholic Celtics at the United Center on Friday, Mar. 18.

This year’s win was New Trier Green Team’s 13th state championship and coach Bob Melton’s 10th win out of the 11 times his team has competed. This is his 19th year coaching.

Junior forward Jack Raith scored 26 seconds into the game with the help of a pass from fellow junior forward Matt Mulhern.

Shortly after, Providence scored two goals. The goals by Providence were scored by junior Jake Vennetti and senior Gant Orloff.

For the Green Team, Mulhern and Raith both scored in the second period with assists from junior center Charlie Burton and senior forward Nico Meyer. Mulhern scored the game winning goal with 7:21 remaining in the second period.

Goalie Will Douthit ended the game with a total of 13 saves. New Trier controlled possession of the puck for the majority of the game and outshot Providence 30-15.

Raith scored four goals. Due to all 20 of last year’s players graduating, this season was every player’s first season on the Green Team.

Raith and Burton were all-state selections and also had experience playing together for two years. Raith, Burton and Mulhern were on the same line their freshman year when they were members of the New Trier White team. For the majority of the season this year, they played on the same line once again, aiding their fluidity and communication skills on the ice.

Friends and family alike filled the stands on the night of the game. “It was so fun. I’m friends with a lot of the hockey team and I’m so proud of them. NTG is my life,” senior Darby Tingue said.

According to the senior right wing, Joe Graves, the players were confident, but even experienced players get nervous before the games. “I was freaking out before the game. My pre-game rituals include drinking an RC Cola because it calms me down.”

Graves believes that New Trier Green Team had such a successful season because of the close knit community in which they thrive. “The NTG life team chemistry is what makes us better than any other team. Greeners are incredible. We are a family,” Graves said. “This season was the best year of my life.”

This championship is especially sweet for the Trevians because last year the team was upset by Benet before they could reach the state championship. Melton echoed that sentiment to the Chicago Tribune.

“This one is special because of the challenge of not having any returning players,” Melton said. New Trier finished this year with a record of 55-10-1, and they won their final six games to take the title.