Revised Code of Conduct reduces consequences

New code emphasizes consistency across all extracurriculars

Lindsey Burns, Sports Editor

The extracurricular code of conduct has undergone several changes this year, making it more consistent among athletics, performing arts and student clubs.

The most important revisions were in the consequences.

Now, a first offense violation results in suspension for up to 25% of a season or school year which is down from the previous 50%. The second offense is now 50%, and only after a third offense can a student be expelled from an activity completely. The administration reserves the right to impose harsher penalties in more severe cases.

The code covers offenses involving tobacco, alcohol and drugs, as well as assault, bullying and disobedience. It applies to academic misconduct, and includes the broad category of “conduct unbecoming of a New Trier student.”

According to the set of rules that went into effect this school year, the Code applies to students who participate in voluntary, school-sponsored activities that are not part of an academic class.

Athletic Director Augie Fontanetta explained that one of the reasons the Code was changed was to keep students involved in extracurriculars and make it possible for students who have made mistakes to return to their activity.

“We understand that kids make mistakes,” Fontanetta said. “There need to be consequences but we also want students to learn from their mistakes and be able to come back from them. If you’re a freshman and you mess up, it doesn’t mean that you will never be a leader in our school”

Thomas Nugent, a senior athlete, thinks the new Code takes the right approach. “By decreasing the punishment on the first offense, kids have the opportunity for a second chance to learn from their mistakes without getting into a lot of trouble,” Nugent said.

Georgia Cienkus, a senior, agreed. “I also think that people make mistakes so the lighter punishments against the students allow us to better ourselves and get back to the activities we love,” said Cienkus.

The Code encourages students to make the right choices, Fontanetta said, and it emphasizes that layers of consequences come with the not-so-great choices students may make. Under the revised code, there is

consistency between everything from clubs to teams, which solidifies the importance of the Code. Fontanetta said, “There is complete uniformity across all the extracurriculars.”

Katie Lofdahl, Girls Tennis captain, appreciates the new Code. “I think it is fair to have a Code of Conduct for all extracurriculars because you are still representing New Trier no matter if it’s athletics or not,” Lofdahl said. “I feel either all extracurriculars should use the Code of Conduct or none of them because it is unfair to apply the code to only certain activities and not others.”

Cienkus agreed. “I think it’s better to keep everything equal for everyone,” she said. “I’ve been involved in all of these groups at New Trier and it makes it a lot easier to stay in check when they’re all under the same rules.”