Boys and girls golf place 2nd and 5th at IHSA State

Golf credits success in state competition to a team effort

Emily Wong, Sports Editor

Oct. 14 and 15, Girls Golf took 5th place at state with an all-time low score of 619, while Boys Golf took 2nd with a score of 618.
These results were pretty consistent with both of the teams’ performances in past years.
“Year after year we place in the top five at state,” said senior girls captain Eva Kirie. “It shows that New Trier is consistently a force to be reckoned with.”
As for the boys team, this was the fourth year that the team took second at the competition.
However, the teams’ results varied in the earlier competitions. The girls team placed first at both regionals and at sectionals, while the boys team placed third at both.
Eric Duffett, assistant coach of the boys team, said that their shaky performance in the earlier matches contributed to the excitement of the overall results.
“We were second at conference for the first time in a really long time. We didn’t know for sure that we’d even make it to state,” he said. “To beat teams that had previously beaten us, and to peak at the right time was probably the biggest highlight.”
Kirie attributed the girls success to the team’s focus. “We found it within ourselves to concentrate on our goal,” she said. “The improvement from all the returning varsity and new varsity players was drastic.”
Girls captain, senior Taylor Connelly, talked about the team’s season-long focus on the state competition. “State is usually a thought in everyone’s mind throughout the season and serves as a reminder to always work your hardest at practice, to make it all worth it when it finally rolls around,” she said.
Boys head coach Pete Drevline explained a similar focus for the boys team. “The ultimate goal is to get down to state and get a trophy, and that’s what they did,” he said.
Drevline also talked about a strong focus on teamwork. “I know we play an individual sport, but we try to focus on team scores at that time,” he said.
The team results confirmed the importance of their strategy. “We didn’t have a single player qualify for all-state,” said Duffett. “To finish second as a team and not have one individual that was all-state means that everybody on the team contributed.”
The girls team did have an all-state qualifying player this year, with sophomore Penelope Tir placing 4th in the competition. Still, they didn’t discount the importance of the team effort.
“In the end, golf is a team sport,” said Kirie. “As much as it seems like an individual sport, the team’s total score is what counts.”
Kirie said preparation was crucial leading up to state. “As a group, we were averaging two or three tournaments per week with practice sessions on the off days,” she said.
The team tried to devote as much time as possible to practicing. “Many of us even practiced on the weekends so we could be as sharp as possible and continuously be prepared for the tournaments,” said Kirie.
Duffett mentioned a similar idea for the boys team. “We try to have them compete as much as possible so that when the pressure’s on, they feel used to it,” he said.
They also had some more specific strategies in practice. “We focused primarily on our short game because the majority of strokes are taken on or around the green.”
The boys group also had their own approach. Duffett said, “We try to set up challenges where the players will get frustrated and have to learn to deal with being frustrated in tough conditions.”
Although they had varying experiences throughout the season, both of the teams were very proud of their final efforts.
Kirie said, “Throughout the season we reminded ourselves of the importance of being an athlete of New Trier, and this season we lived up to the exceptional standards of being a Trevian.”