Boys soccer getting ready for playoffs

Trevians vying for first state title in nine seasons after strong regular season showing

New Trier Website

Boys varsity soccer team getting ready for the playoffs after a strong regular season

David Heiman, Sports Editor

Last Friday, the New Trier boys varsity soccer team played Stevenson and won by a score of 6-1. The game never finished tho because after 60 minutes the game was called because it was to dark to continue playing.

“There was some miscommunication with the coaches because the Stevenson administration sent us to the wrong field. It was an early game, 4:45. We didn’t have much time to warm up. It was hard to get going because we played on a small grass field. That didn’t stop us from winning tho”, Senior Alex Donnelly-Maine said.

This match against Stevenson is the second to last game of the regular season with the last one against St. Ignatius on Tuesday at the stadium.

With the playoffs starting on October 17 and New Trier will face the winner of the Notre Dame and Schruz to claim the regional semi final. New Trier will then play GBS in the regional final and hopefully get to play the sectional final at the stadium here at New Trier. If all goes well, the Trevians have a good chance of winning their first state title in 9 years.

“I think we have the talent to win this year. We’ve proven we can compete and defeat some of the top teams in the state. We want another state title it’s been 9 years too long” said Donnelly-Maine. Senior Captain Will Felito also said “We can certainly have a state run this year. We have proven that we are capable of getting results against strong opponents such as Waukegan, Glenbrook North, and Evanston. If we continue to stay true to our tactical identity on the field, we will be able to have success in the playoffs”.

Earlier in the season New Trier beat Evanston for the first time in a handful of years. “Beating Evanston was surreal” Senior Alex Boudes said. “In my previous three years playing freshman A, sophomore, and JV I had only beaten them once and to do it again when it really mattered meant a lot to me. Another Senior and Colgate commit Ryan Krueger said “The hydrant had been in their hands for too long and it’s great to get it back. We’ve received so much love from alumni and everyone related to the program. That game was more then just a game”.

Krueger also leads the team with 16 goals and counting. “His ability to find the back of the net is unlike anyone else’s that I’ve ever played with. He’s super quick and is able to beat guys in one on one more times then not”, Felito said.

While the team is a senior heavy team with 11 seniors, it’s really the chemistry between the players that makes this team so special. “This team is so special because we have all played with each other for so long. Our chemistry is so good because most of us have played together since we were all in grade school. We are all great friends and we describe this squad as a brotherhood”, said Donnelly-Maine. Felito continued on what Donnelly-Maine was saying “Our team is special because of the commitment everyone has shown throughout the year. We have very high standards for ourselves and have set many large goals”.

With such maturity amongst the team and the willingness to do what’s best for the greater good clearly makes this team what it is.

As the state finals get closer and closer we hope that this band of brothers can pull thru and win state to finish off the seniors careers and set up a strong foundation for the future.