Wrestling goes 3-0 at East Leyden to start season on the right path

NT beats Leyden, Buffalo Grove, and Crystal Lake South

Lexi Shoup, Sports Editor

The New Trier wrestling team went 3-0 on Saturday Dec. 1 at the Farina Fieldhouse at East Leyden’s campus.

The Trevs beat Leyden 38-25, Buffalo Grove 59-9, and Crystal Lake South 42-18.

Leyden was New Trier’s biggest competition at the meet. “We did pretty well considering that we’ve had trouble with Leyden in the past. We definitely had a strong shot offense. We finished our shots well and came out on top,” said senior wrestler Russell Sanchez.

“On the other hand, I️ think we can improve on being more aggressive in the beginning of the match.”

According to Varsity Head Coach Marc Tadelman, the teams at the quad were well matched. “It’s a well- rounded quad. Usually Crystal Lake South and Leyden are the two tougher teams there. Last year we beat two of the three so it was nice to come in this year and beat all three teams.”

Tadelman attributes the team’s success to working hard in each match, especially the seniors, many of whom got all three wins on Saturday.

Senior Jack Tangen went 3-0 individually in the meet, “I think as a team we need to work on a lot of little things. If we pay attention to detail while we are at practice we can be much better,” Tadelman said.

Some of the wrestlers that are new to varsity need time to adjust.

“It’s a little different wrestling JV and freshman than getting into varsity. The kids are more skilled and pick up the intensity,” said Tadelman.

Though this meet doesn’t count for conference, it’s a good way for the team to get into the season after their first conference meet which was on Friday Dec. 1 at GBS.

The Trevs beat GBS 62-18, “It was our first conference dual and I think it sets us up well for future conference duals,” said Tangen.

Tadelman said the team wrestled hard and after the first match the team was going out to get pins. “It was nice to start off conference with a win,” said Tadelman.

The win against GBS helps the Trevs toward their goal of winning conference, “We have been conference champs for the past several years and we hope to continue this goal. So far, we had a good start to our ambition by winning against GBS,” said Sanchez.

The team has both individual and team goals going forward in the season, “I’m excited for the rest of the season. We have a tough schedule so that we will be more prepared when the state series starts. My goal this year is to win an individual state championship and as a team our goal is to win our regional and qualify for team sectionals,” said Tangen.

The Trevs have a tough schedule coming up.

“We’ll have some team losses but the intent is to get guys challenged so they improve and work hard in practice and get better for the end of the year,” said Tadelman.

The team’s next meet is on Friday Dec. 8 vs. Maine South at home in G110.

“Maine South is a big meet for us as they are also contenders for a conference title and they are a big rival,” said Tangen, “I’d like to get a large student section for that meet because wrestling never gets any students at the meets.”

Tadelman is confident that New Trier will do well at Friday’s meet,

“I see no reason why the team shouldn’t win if we wrestle the same style we did last week. We just have to stay consistent and keep going hard like we’ve been.”