New Trier girls basketball ends tumultuous season with regional championship

The victory ended a seven-year drought and fulfilled a lifelong goal for many of the players
Meg Floyd
The New Trier student section storms the court after the 34-32 victory against Glenbrook South on Feb. 26

Throughout the New Trier girls basketball locker room at the beginning of the 2023-2024 season, each player had the same mentality: it was regional championship or bust. 

The program had not won a regional in seven years, and spear-headed by Brown University commit Sela Klein and Bowdoin College commit Kate Sacarro, it seemed that this year’s squad was primed to end the streak. There was an atmosphere of determination in practice and in games, with an understanding that every moment counted in pursuit of their goal. 

One of our coaches sent us a quote every day for 247 days before the season started to motivate us to work hard

— Kate Sacarro

“One of our coaches sent us a quote every day for 247 days before the season started to motivate us to work hard,” Sacarro said.

The team finished the regular season with a record of 16-15 and a fifth place finish in the conference. This earned them the number six seed in the Maine South sectional, setting up an inevitable clash with rival Glenbrook South for the coveted regional championship. After losing to Glenbrook South twice during the regular season, the team knew that they had a difficult game in front of them.

“We lost to GBS twice this season by a combined seven points,” senior Marley Meyers said. “We knew they were tough, but we also really felt like we could win.”

The game against Glenbrook South lived up to the previous two contests. The Trevians held a strong lead after the first half, but before long the Titans began to chip away. At the final buzzer, a desperation heave from a Glenbrook South player missed its mark, giving New Trier the victory by a score of 34-32, and allowing pandemonium to erupt. 

The court was abruptly stormed by the few Trevian faithful that made the trek to Mather High School on that fateful Thursday, but the celebration felt as though there were thousands of people on the hardwood. Tears were shed. Hugs were exchanged. And all around the gym there was the knowledge that they had finally done it — the regional championship belonged to the Trevians. 

Sela Klein ended the game with nine points and 15 rebounds. Junior Anna River chipped in seven points and five rebounds of her own, and Sacarro added eight points to go along with two rebounds and two assists. 

The celebration was unfortunately short lived, as local powerhouse Maine South defeated them in the sectional semifinal by a score of 58-29. But not even that defeat, and the bitter farewell to the seniors that it brought, could sour the overall result of the season. 

“We used [the regional championship] as motivation throughout the offseason and during the season, so it was awesome that our hard work paid off,” Sacarro said.

And above all, Sacarro said the team got what they set out for: “We just wanted a plaque.”