Dough-not miss out on these three shops

The truth is finally out, guys. “Recent studies” show you no longer have to be a lazy cop or Homer Simpson to love doughnuts. I’m sure many of you have heard of a bar crawl.

Well, I’ve taken the liberty to map out my very own doughnut crawl. If you feel like indulging yourself with delicious crème or jelly filled, iced, or bacon topped (yes, bacon!) pastries, take a look at these three trendy doughnut spots in Chicago. These crispy-on-the-outside, fluffy-on-the-inside treats will leave you craving for more, so be prepared to fall in love with the beautiful art of doughnut making.

Place: Doughnut Vault

Where: Two locations and a van

401 N. Franklin Street and 111 N. Canal Street

If you are more of a traditional type, this is the place for you. They make old fashioned style doughnuts, but with a creative, delicious twist. If you are feeling adventurous, try the tangy lemon poppy seed or the crispy coconut cream. If you want to keep it simple, go for the classic buttermilk old fashioned doughnuts. (Just a quick tip, you might want to get there earlier– the buttermilk always sells out first.)

If none of these doughnuts seem to be up your alley, they also make pistachio, toasted almond, and my personal favorite, the decadent triple chocolate. If you still aren’t loving your options, there’s a different featured doughnut daily that’s always creative and, of course, amazing.

To top it off, the Doughnut Vault provides a variety of hot drinks such as strong drip coffees, lattes, mochas, and even chai tea, all of which pair well with its doughnuts.

Overall, this place is a great experience and has truly mastered the good old fashioned doughnut. Trust me, you’ll be coming back for dozens more doughnuts after you’ve had just one bite.

Place: Do-Rite Donuts & Coffee

Where: 50 W. Randolph Street

This hole-in-the-wall shop has some of the best tasting doughnuts and coffee combo you’ll ever have. Only open from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm, these doughnuts are quick to go, so you definitely want to make sure you get there on the earlier side.

When you walk into Do-Rite’s tiny space that’s disguised as a doughnut shop, you stand in a cramped line, eyeing the wall of freshly baked doughnuts behind the counter.

Indecisive much? Try the vanilla bean glazed cinnamon crunch doughnut. Raised to perfection, the doughnut will melt in your mouth (I solemnly swear).The crunch of the sweet outside complements the fluffy cinnamon dough inside.

It’s tasty in its own right, but my favorite? The candied maple bacon doughnut. This doughnut is the epitome of a breakfast in a bite—the dough-replicating pancakes, the maple glaze that’s topped with bacon—there’s nothing better than that.

A cup of joe makes these two items quite the dynamic duo. All you gluten-free friends, don’t worry, you have not been forgotten. Do-Rite really does do it right by offering five different actually good gluten-free options such as chocolate peanut butter, Valrhona chocolate glazed, pistachio Meyer lemon, and several others that do not disappoint.

Do-Rite really does cater to all tastes. Vegans, having trouble satisfying your doughnut fix? Every single day there is a special vegan donut option, and I was pleasantly surprised to find they were actually quite amazing. (Saturday’s special vegan raspberry donut honestly made me consider going vegan.)

At reasonable prices, these perfectly sized old fashioned and raised donuts are a good reason to get up early in the morning and head to the City.

Place: Glazed and Infused

Where: Five locations

813 W Fulton Market, 30 E Hubbard Street, 1576 N Milwaukee Avenue, 201 E Delaware Place, 939 W Armitage Avenue

This place has exploded in the past year, attracting a diverse crowd of people from all over the Chicago area. Glazed and Infused’s creative twist on doughnuts lends itself to insanely decadent results, made with interesting flavors that are rotated each week.

It’s a mission of Glazed and Infused’s to always use local ingredients and create partnerships with other businesses in the community.

If you’re a chocolate lover, the Chocolate4 is the doughnut for you; it’s a chocolate doughnut covered in chocolate glaze and topped off with white and milk chocolate shavings, which makes four different chocolate parts coming together. Beautiful, right?

If that’s just too rich for you, the red velvet doughnut is another fan favorite, with its cream cheese frosting twisted perfectly over the red velvet glazed doughnut. This is a slap in the face to all red velvet cupcakes. Who knew a doughnut could outdo a cupcake at its own flavor?

Of course Glazed and Infused carries the ever classic old fashioned doughnut and the vanilla bean glazed doughnut, but if you’re one for a taste of adventure, literally, you might want to check a certain doughnut out: the banana Nutella pretzel doughnut. It is beyond delicious; the hint of banana in the dough blends perfectly with the Nutella frosting and the crunch of the pretzel. I dare you to go back to Dunkin’ Donuts after trying any of Glazed and Infused’s classic, yet still flavor-fully adventurous, doughnuts. I’m going to tell you right now, you won’t want to. So please, join the doughnut craze, and try any of these places. You certainly won’t regret it. Bon appétit!