Nicole and the New Reality of TV

It seems that the tides are turning for reality television series and the stars that are famous because of them.
In recent years, celebrities like Kim Kardashian have graced the covers of provocative fashion magazines, replacing actors and actresses. They’re not just “famous for being famous” anymore. Lauren Conrad, another example of this, has created a lifestyle brand for herself and has a significant following to prove it.
After exclusively being known for her role on “The Hills,” Conrad is now more known for her intricate hair tutorials and Pinterest-like website, laurenconrad.com (clever title).
Nicole Richie is among the likes of these reality stars. For those who are unfamiliar with the pint size fashion maven, Richie was known for running around L.A. as Paris Hilton’s sidekick in their show titled “The Simple Life.”
The girls essentially danced around L.A. falling into trouble and occasionally experimenting in goofy odd jobs.
In recent years, Richie has taken her image and done a 360. Appearing briefly on “Fashion Star,” Richie is now known for her fashion sense.
But within the last year, Nicole Richie has taken the internet by storm. After launching her web series with AOL.com, cleverly titled “#CandidlyNicole,” the world now knows her for witty one liners, sarcastic delivery, and the funny friends she surrounds herself with.
Each show ranges from three to five minutes long and is based on her Twitter feed. Each episode usually opens with a tweet, like, “Woke up feeling good about myself, until I remembered I have a tramp stamp”.
This specific episode is then followed by Richie visiting Dr. Tattoff and proceeds to ask questions about the removal of her tramp stamp. Sounds like nothing special, right? Yet, Richie’s funny questions and the doctors blasé and blunt answers keep the viewer glued.
Aol released the first season of #CandidlyNicole in the spring of 2014 and is currently airing episodes from the shows second season. Aol isn’t the only community to fall in love with Richie; VH1 just picked up her show for a second season.
The same theme of the web series is followed on the big screen, as well.
The show begins with a tweet and then expands on it. What’s different is the cast-like feeling after each new episode. Richie’s friends, including writer Erin Foster or her dad, musician Lionel Richie, appear more than once so you not only become better acquainted with Richie, but her friends and family as well.
Is it a reality show? Not exactly. Each episode is staged and somewhat scripted, yet is entirely based off of Nicole’s life and acquaintances.
“#CandidlyNicole” isn’t the first show to do this either. “Broad City,” a 30 minute show on Comedy Central, was originally a small YouTube channel that featured funny, scripted videos. The stars, Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson took small clips, jokes, or moments of their relatable lives in New York and posted it on YouTube.
The videos fell into the hands of fellow New Yorker and comedian Amy Poehler who in return took the role of executive producer, getting them on Comedy Central.
The sudden shift in the way we watch television these days is profound. The people we are watching are also changing. Ex-reality stars are restarting their careers by portraying themselves as funny, relatable faces and YouTube stars are promoting these stars talk shows like “the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon.”
Be sure to tune in to season two of “#CandidlyNicole” premiering on VH1 later this spring/summer of 2015.