Twenty-one years later, Safe Rides continues to serve

Safe Rides has exitsted at New Trier for 21 years, but it takes a lot of behind the scenes work to ensure that the program runs smoothly.
Safe Rides is an organization that provides free rides to students who do not have a ride home. Their goal is to reduce the risk of teens drunk driving, along with the dangers associated with driving under the influence.
Safe Rides member and Junior Emma Alter, shared that she joined Safe Rides to start getting more involved in school.
“Safe Rides was appealing because not only was I helping out my peers, but I was able to have fun while doing it,” said Alter. “Safe Rides is a pretty loose time commitment.”
Another Safe Rides member explained that they must work 1-2 weekends per month. Typically, their nights begin at 10 p.m. “We sit on couches and wait for a call. We then pick up the student and drive them to their home.”
But there is more behind the scenes work in order to have Safe Rides function properly. Prior to participating, prospective members must take a 1 hour training course led by the adult leaders. Students are shown how the program is run, and are taught important safety measures.
“After this, student leaders split the kids into groups [and] each group has two student leaders. The leaders then divvy up and organize who gets [which] night,” explained Alter.
Each group is made up of around 50 people. “This is so that not everyone has to show up every night,” said Alter.
On the night of a group’s shift, members are split up into 3 different sections. Each are assigned different jobs.
“When you’re not driving, you’re lounging around on couches [and] chatting with your friends. Often times, people bring food and food is always a good time,” said Alter. Not all members will have the opportunity to drive each night.
There are a select number of students who are in charge of answering the phones. “These confirm that the student on the phone is indeed a New Trier student and is heading to their house,” shared Alter.
The second job is the driver, who must operate their own vehicle. They assure that the student is both picked up and dropped off safely.
By their side is the navigator. Not only must this Safe Rides member locate the various addresses, but they must remember to bring the forms. “[But] most importantly, [they] must remember the barf bag,” said Alter.
Safe Rides members are required to fill out forms when they provide a ride to a student. When a call is answered, members are required to write the name of the student, the addresses traveled too, and if alcohol was involved. “Those sheets are completely confidential,” explained a Safe Rides driver.
When a person is picked up, it is kept completely private outside of Safe Rides. Drivers are only allowed to drive one person at a time.
Safe Rides stops accepting calls at around 1-2 a.m. Therefore, members are working 4 hours shifts. “For me, the hardest part of Safe Rides is definitely staying up,” shared Alter, “[It all] depends on how busy the phones are.”
Nevertheless, Safe Rides keep giving rides to many of their peers
“It was extremely helpful,” shared a student who recently received a Safe Ride. “It was a great way to get home. I’m sure it has helped many people stay safe.”
But another user shares that despite being helpful, it can be difficult to call Safe Rides and identify which nights the organization is running.
“What makes Safe Rides cool is that you’re able to help out your friends and classmates while also having a great time,” shared Alter. “The people who do Safe Rides are all fun people, so spending the majority of your night with them is enjoyable.”