Looking backward to be fashion forward

Chokers, Adidas, turtlenecks are all making a comeback

Brooke Evans, Staff Reporter

The newest winter trends for students are surprisingly not that new. Teenagers are embracing old fashion trends and styles and making them popular again.

The Adidas Stan Smith shoe is making a huge come back this year. This all white shoe with green, black or navy blue logo in the back was made popular by Stan Smith, the tennis player, in 1971. But if you look around the halls, girls and boys are rocking this old fashioned style.

Junior Nikki Weiss commented on this new trend. She said, “I love wearing my Adidas because they are comfortable. Sometimes wearing big winter boots to school are so clunky and annoying.” Weiss then added, “Also the shoes go with everything.”

Adidas has created many different versions of the original shoe.

Weiss said, “I have the Adidas Superstars. Instead of being all white with color only in the back, they added colored strips to the side.”
Another old trend to make its come back are choker necklaces. The choker was popular amongst young girls around 2009 and 2010. The chokers used to consist of stretchy fabric and possibly a heart or charm attached.

Now that the choker is back, but with a revamped style. Many girls can be seen wearing colorful beaded chokers or occasionally beads with special stones or diamonds in the middle.

Juniors Taylor Izenstark and Erin Joseph are two of the many girls helping expand this trend by making and selling their own chokers to anyone who wants one.

Joseph said, “I started to make necklaces because I make friendship bracelets in the summer but I wanted to make something that would go better with more and is very low maintenance and easy.”

Joseph started making chokers just for herself then her friends, and it sky rocketed. It turned into people asking constantly.
She added, “Because of the simplicity of the necklaces, it’s easy to wear with anything and the choker trend is making a big comeback so people want to take advantage.”

The last trend to have made its comeback is the turtle neck sweater. Dating all the way back to the 1950’s, the turtle neck was seen as a preppy style which emphasized neatness and elegance. But in this cold Chicago weather, it’s helping keep everyone warm.

Junior Tommy Solberg shared her opinions. She said, “It’s funny because I used to wear turtle necks a lot when I was little,” she added, “Now I just love wearing them because they are warm and comfortable.”

Solberg also said, “I feel like once one person starts wearing something new the trend catches on and on. It’s interesting how fast a style or trend travels through the school.”

Even with the times changing, New Trier kids are still loving that old fashion style. Solberg said, “I wonder if my kids will end up wearing something I used to wear.”