Students choice 2012

For those who are too young to vote in the upcoming presidential election, there is no need to fret. Trevians can express their political opinion through Student Alliance’s mock-election on November 6th in the small cafeteria.

The SA Events Committee, comprised of junior Helen Ding, sophomore Rachel Resnekov, junior Aria Mehta and sophomore Jack Levin, is organizing the election along with tech staff Boris Spektor and Angel Villaluz, who helped design and set up the new electronic voting program.

Winnetka Campus Principal Tim Dohrer is thankful for the new system.

“That makes it so much easier,” he said, adding that it hasn’t always been electronic though, usually on Scantron forms in the past.

Dohrer estimated that in the past, mock-elections have been a staple at New Trier during presidential election season. He said perhaps New Trier held elections for students well before his tenure, as far back as the 1970s. Dohrer didn’t know how long other schools besides New Trier have had mock-elections, but he was positive that many other high schools have a similar tradition.

“I’m thrilled that SA does a mock-election,” he said regarding New Trier specifically. “It builds a habit for students to be part of the democratic process so they can begin to think ‘Who would I vote for and why?’”

SA sponsor and social studies teacher Steve Drajpuch agreed that the mock-elections open up a good opportunity for students who are not yet eligible to vote.
“Most students at New Trier are not old enough to vote, but they need a voice,” he said. “And when it comes in time to really vote they’ll do it.”
Drajpuch also said that besides the politically educational point of view, curiosity of who the student body supports is a major reason why New Trier has continued the mock-election tradition.

Helen Ding of the SA Events Committee organizing the mock-elections is also excited to see how the election results play out, saying “It’s fun to predict.”
Drajpuch said that there is sometimes a general opinion at New Trier on which candidate the student body supports most, but sometimes the elections themselves can disprove preexisting biases.

Seniors Joe Figura, Kathleen Frost and Jack Phillips each felt there is a general political sentiment among New Trier students that can sometimes be stifling.

“I’ll probably vote because it shouldn’t be much trouble, and it’s a consolation for not being old enough to vote in the real election,” Figura said. “I think it’ll be one-sided though. In our school Obama should win by a landslide.”

“People assume everyone’s a Democrat here, but there’s a big Republican population that’s not very outspoken,” Frost said. “Celebrities endorse Obama and there’s a social perception and push from the media to endorse that side.”

Jack Phillips agreed, saying, “I think there’s pressure to vote a certain way because of how outspoken people are in the school.”

“Young people vote more democratic,” Figura said. “And Romney probably alienated a lot of people at our school because of his positions on social issues, like gay marriage. Plus we’re on the Northshore, we’re pretty liberal.”

Despite the pressure some students feel, not all would agree it’s affected them.

“It depends on your social circle,” said senior Daniel Bergquist. “I haven’t experienced pressure to vote for anyone.”

No matter who wins, some students are just happy for the opportunity to express their political opinions.

Junior Conor Holzhall is not old enough to vote, but said that he would like to in the mock-election, “I’m planning on doing it so I can get a taste of voting before the 2016 elections.”

The elections are to be on Nov. 6, and students can drop by to vote during any lunch period outside the small cafeteria.