An insider’s guide to your college town

University of Wisconsin at Madison

The Pipefitter is very popular amongst students. They sell UW gear, gag gifts, and a lot of college must haves. The Pipefitter is 18+, if that gives you any indication of their products. Palka Taverna is a cute, small Greek breakfast restaurant across the street from the lake in Madison. They have great pancakes and it has a very homey feel to it.

University of Chicago

The Medici is a classic restaurant that U of Chicago students love.They serve all of the American classics, including pizza, burgers, and sandwiches. Akira is a popular women’s store near the University that sells the latest trendy clothes, but can be a bit overpriced. Doc Films is a student operated film society at UChicago, which hosts cheap, themed movies every month.

University of Colorado Boulder

The Sink is a fun restaurant that serves signature “Sinkburgers” and “Ugly Crust Pizza” and all of the traditional bar food. It’s open until 2 AM for anyone who has had a late night.  Pearl Street Mall is a collection of local shops that gives off the local vibe of Boulder, that artsy, outdoorsy, and free feeling.

University of Michigan

The University of Michigan campus has places to eat and shop on Main Street and on the Diag, but everyone knows about those. When you want a change of pace, take a turn into Kerrytown. Kerrytown is a historic market district with cool, unique shops and places to eat you can’t find anywhere else. It’s a local and distinctive area that’s way different than the other go-to areas in Ann Arbor.

Tulane University

The Camellia Grill is a fun restaurant that offers diner style food that’s served by bow-tie clad staff members. It’s open late, which is great for college students. The Funky Monkey sells new and vintage clothing along with fun accessories. It gives off a bit of a boho/hippie vibe, which is really in right now.

University of Iowa

If you’re looking for a diner that’s similar to Walker Brothers in both menu items and flavor, then check out Blue Bird Diner. They have fewer selections than Walker Brothers, but they have customizable pancakes, which are delicious. White Rabbit is also a reasonably priced clothing store near the campus that has fun, hipster-y things for students to wear and decorate with. It’s similar to Urban Outfitters but it is much less expensive. Fun, locally made accessories are sold here, too.

Northwestern University

Northwestern is situated in Evanston, a huge hub for tons of different restaurants, all at prices a college student can afford. One that comes to mind is Crossrhodes. If you haven’t eaten at Crossrhodes Restaurant on Chicago Avenue, once you’ve had their Greek fries, you’ll get addicted. If you don’t like Greek food, there’s all-you-can-eat sushi from Todoroki, “Chinese” food from Joy Yees, or Mediterranean food from Naf Naf Grill.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Champaign is different than the urban Chicago life, but there’s something to be said for their campus activities. The campus town bars are said to be a great place to relax with friends after school is done for the day. On Wednesday nights, you can catch the White Horse bar’s famous Wednesday night karaoke. Joe’s Brewery is near the White Horse, known around town for what’s said to be a great dance scene.

Indiana University at Bloomington

Indiana University is home to the IU Museum of Art, which might not be everyone’s favorite pastime, but you can catch a light show if you go at night, and there’s always many other students relaxing there, too. If you’re looking for something to do that’s delicious and convenient, try cookies from Baked. We’ve all had Insomnia Cookies by now, and Baked sends you delicious cookies right to your dorm room.

Miami University, Oxford

One truly unique experience at Miami University is to go on a 6 AM jog with President Hodge, President of the university. Another thing you have to do before graduating is to attend a “Screen on the Green,” where you can watch a movie on the lawn. A particularly longstanding institute is Mac & Joe’s, the oldest bar/grill/pub in Oxford. It’s a classic college student place: sort of a hole in the wall with cheap, quick, decent bar food.