Choice is yours: choose

The transition between high school and college is an experience in which almost every New Trier student will take part. I can’t say it’s hard, and I can’t even say that it is a dramatic shift because I have yet to experience the transition.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that college is different from high school–breaking news, I know.

Life’s about choices–we’ve been told this adage many times. And what differentiates college from high school is that you are now able to fully exercise your rights to choose whatever you want. High school can only offer an illusion of freedom; the reason why these four years seem wonderful is because in comparison to the middle school years, we are given more choices.

When I entered New Trier, it was exciting to be allowed to spend a free period under my own supervision–almost as exciting as being allowed to leave campus during my lunch break. College is on a different spectrum. No parents are around to implore you go to bed at a decent time. There is no curfew. You have the final say.

Whether you’ve enrolled in your college because of its social life, location, cost, academics, or sports, you chose to go to this school for a reason.

With this being said, if you go off to your college, and for whatever reason decide that it isn’t the right fit for you, change it. According to a report by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, the transfer rate of students college is 1 student out of every 3.

Don’t stress too much over the whole thing; in doing so you will lose some of the magic of these “best years of your life.” Before you know it, your years as an undergraduate will be over. Then comes the decision to enroll in graduate school, or to begin pursuing your own career. Take a moment, even if it’s just a little one, to do something you enjoy, or to discover something you might enjoy.

Just remember, that no matter how hard you try you will never catch up to the future. Live in the present, and really feel yourself living. Nothing in excess, however. Drugs, sex, and alcohol may seem like liberating choices, but they ultimately hinder and trap you into making poor decisions later.  They can’t help you through problems, but  they can certainly create new ones. Use the head New Trier polished for you, and make choices wisely.

Perhaps you already have a good idea of what you want to study, and who you want to be. Just remember that it is okay to change your mind. This is reassuring for most. Plans can be altered; however, and it is important to recognize that it is okay to differentiate from your prior plans.

Be spontaneous for a moment. The people you meet doing so will become some of the closest and most genuine friends you could ever hope to have.

College is the time for young adults to branch out and pursue their interests, to make choice after exhilarating choice.

Enjoy these years, and make choices–the kind that will allow you to look back upon your college years and smile.

With all the choices you’ll make, you’re going to be very busy. Happily so.