Varsity baseball young, untested but hopeful

Last year, the New Trier Varsity  baseball team had a record of 24-12, won their regional, placed second in their conference, and lost in their first sectional game.
Most of the 13 seniors from that team went on to play college baseball, half of whom were Division 1 players.
“We had a really good team last year,” said head coach Mike Napoleon. “With a lot of those guys gone and a lot of our starters having been seniors last year, we have a lot of spaces to fill for this year’s roster.”
Baseball has never been a no-cut team, so the team was surprised when it was announced that all 28 who tried out were accepted.
In past years, tryouts brought out 35-40 interested players, of which 25-26 were typically selected.
According to Napoleon, there are several contributing factors to the low turnout, including injury and conflicting commitments.
Though some might believe that a selective tryout process produces a better team, the players are excited that nobody was cut and believe wholeheartedly that each of their teammates fully deserves his position.
“I like the big squad,” said senior captain and pitcher Kevin Douaire. “All the guys that tried out are good players, and more importantly, good teammates.”
Of the 28 prospective players who tried out for this 2013 season, only a small portion are returning from the previous year, and an even fewer amount were regular players in the prior season.
This presents the team with an imminent challenge: lack of experience. Coupled with the legacy that previous Varsity baseball teams have left, the 2013 team might be biting off a bit more than they can chew. But don’t write them off just yet.
“What I think will be challenging this year is filling those spots from the seniors last year. But I think we can overcome that by being a team that does the little things so well. The little things will be the difference between a win or a loss,” said senior captain and outfielder Matt Blanchard.
Senior captain, pitcher, and infielder Andrew Kirby agreed; “We had a lot of seniors who graduated last year who were very good and taught us a lot. That being said, most seniors don’t even have that much varsity experience, so it’s going to be basically an entire team learning as we go. I don’t anticipate that being a challenge, but it would really be nice if we got off to a hot start.”
In the off-season, every player worked hard to prepare for the coming year.
Many players got a chance to practice playing together over the summer. There’s an abundance of pitchers, which should prove useful in various situations and for keeping arms rested.
“As far as the team itself goes, I am really impressed by the ability of the junior class, especially the pitchers. It will be a fun year, with a lot of young guys contributing to complement our solid senior class,” said senior captain and catcher Josh Katz.
The team’s success could hinge on its ability to overcome individual performance and play as a cohesive team.
Napoleon commented that, while baseball is an individual sport at times, there is still a vast amount of teamwork and camaraderie that must be established. While some teammates are on the field and others are on the bench, it’s pertinent that they stick together.
The predominantly young team has their sights set high. They are expecting tough competition from Niles West, Maine South, Evanston, GBS, St. Rita and Oak Park-River Forest.
“I think we are talented in every position and have a lot of guys who understand their role. New Trier baseball always has aspirations of a state championship, so I don’t think we should lower our expectations,” said Kirby.
Blanchard added, “We need a student section this year for home games. It’ll give us the motivation to play even harder.”

The Captains’ Perspectives 

With one captain for every seven players, it’s important that they each bring a unique leadership style to the field. Here, each captain describes what he will do to lead his team:

Andrew Kirby: “The most important part about being a captain is just making sure everyone is doing the little things right, making sure the effort is always there, but also making sure guys aren’t putting too much pressure on themselves and keeping everyone loose.”

Kevin Douaire: “I hope to lead by example on the field. As for off the field, it’s all about being a good teammate and helping the juniors out.”

Josh Katz: “I am not a very loud, rah-rah person, so I really stress leading by example. I try to make sure to show the younger guys how to do everything right and lead them that way. I am a catcher, so my job is to lead the pitching staff and make sure they feel comfortable and prepared to throw their best when they are out on the mound. Catchers also need to lead the game while on the field by calling out directions and plays.”

Matt Blanchard: “I am going to lead the team by being vocal and supportive. As captain it’s really important to make sure you have great team chemistry and that you pick up teammates when they’re down. This year we are going to need every guy on our team to step up in order to be one of the top teams in the state.”