Trevian girls control the glass in Evanston win

New Trier Girls Basketball crushed Evanston 50-25 at New Trier Gates Gym on Friday, Jan. 23. The Trevians also defeated Evanston earlier in the season, on Dec. 9, 62-43.
Intensity, energy, and teamwork all led to New Trier’s success over their longtime rivals. With a 33-7 lead at halftime, defensive organization played a role in New Trier’s win against the Wildkits.
Assistant Coach Eric Duffett additionally noted that New Trier’s ability to rebound was imperative.
“I was really impressed by our ability to pressure the basketball, to make them uncomfortable, and finish possessions by getting the rebound. It was the best we’ve rebounded all season,” Duffett said.
Senior forward Alana Bercu explained that New Trier’s rebounding has improved greatly throughout the season.
“Evanston out rebounded us our last game so we made sure that we got every loose ball this time,” Bercu said.
In addition to better rebounding, The Trevians knew what to expect and came into Friday’s game with a plan. Senior forward Grace Gagliardi explained,
“We were more experienced, we had a better game plan this time, we came out really well.”
Gagliardi elaborated that New Trier knew what Evanston was going to do defensively, had confidence in their abilities, and capitalized on their strengths. With all this in mind,the team had a clear vision for what they needed to get done. Strong defense and intensity were evident right from the tip-off.
The team had a clear vision for what they needed to accomplish: maintaining strong defense and keeping up their high level of intensity through the game.
Duffett said that maturity and patience also improved since the first game against Evanston. “The biggest difference was poise. We’ve gotten a lot more comfortable on the offensive end of the floor,” he explained.
The players acknowledged that their offensive comfort enabled them to deal with challenges during the game. The Trevians had to adjust their offense in order to create opportunities for themselves.
Senior guard Jackie Welch explained the importance of the role that the Evanston – New Trier rivalry plays in the players’ minds.
“We had everything to lose whereas Evanston had nothing to lose and everything to gain this time around,” she explained. “So we realized that and knew that we had to come out strong.”
New Trier certainly showed up ready to play. Senior guard Caroline Halston noted, “we came out right away. We came out more focused, with more energy and drive than Evanston.”
On the floor, New Trier’s team energy and intensity were apparent throughout the game.
Welch said that the depth of the team plays a significant role in their success.
“We always had fresh feet to come off the bench, so there was always effort on the court,” Welch said. “A strong bench means the players are able to give it their all when they’re in, and the team doesn’t lose momentum.”
Only giving up 25 points, New Trier’s defense was solid.
Junior guard Kathryn Pedi said that their air-tight defense led to their offensive opportunities. “Getting them to turn over the ball in the first few possessions really helped us execute our offense.”