NTGH defeats Loyola

They now sit at 10-6-3 with a game against Upper Fox Valley on Saturday

Emily Roemer, Staff Reporter

On Jan. 9, New Trier Girls Hockey claimed a win over Rival Loyola. New Trier took home a 1-0 win.

Although they won, the game won’t be in the record books, because it was a part of the Quad Header tournament.

With 1:30 left in the game, Mia Solberg scored the only goal. “The team did a great job winning all the little battles all across the ice. Taking a lot of shots on the Loyola goalie was also productive,” New Trier assistant coach, Carla Pentimone said.

New Trier’s senior goalie Meagan Hearn was successfully able to stop a slap shot by Loyola senior center Tess Dettling, keeping them off the score board.
“The teams are very evenly matched,” Pentimone said, which made for a very competitive and high energy game.

New Trier Girls Hockey began competition in the year 2000 with a varsity team and a junior varsity team. The two teams currently compete in the Metro Girls Hockey League in Northern Illinois.

New Trier Girls Varsity hockey claimed the state title not only in 2012, but in 2014 as well.

This season has been a successful one so far for this team.Their record this season is 10-6-3. The girls have scored a total of 67 goals, with only 33 goals against.
This year unlike in the past, there are five freshmen on the team. “The traditions and expectations of the team haven’t changed, but it’s a little different with so many new additions to our team,” senior defenseman Grace Hayes said.

“There is more focus on showing them how the teams works, as opposed to the past where there would only be one or two freshmen that could figure it out by watching the upper classmen,” she continued.

The team has shown a lot of support to the freshmen. “The team is like one big family, full of love and support for each other,” junior left wing Tommy Solberg said.

Although the team has been successful, they have areas to improve on. The team has been mainly focusing on improvements in shooting and break outs.

“We’re good at winning the little battles, but when it comes to actually putting the cookie in the basket, it takes longer than it should,” senior left wing Mia Solberg said.

Much like every team, there are some games where the simple chemistry of the team is out of whack.

“I would say passing is not our strongest skill. We need to work on being more consistently in tune with each other on the ice,” Hayes said.

For junior center Isabelle Sennett, girls hockey is “just competitive enough to keep things interesting, but just relaxed enough for friendships and team bonding to be the number one priority.”